Analyze My Water Parameters?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. wapoosheValued MemberMember

so I just tested water by petco guy and he didn't say most of the numbers just said safe or not safe anyways hope you guys can help.

Ph: 7.2
    Ammonia: Little high (light yellow on strip)
    Nitrite: Said it was 1.0 I think
    Nitrate: Said it was good.

I asked him when I could put in fish and he said that my water is ok to put in fish as long as I do water changes and put in a bottle of beneficial bacteria. I'm 8 days in fishless cycling and plan to add angels 2 days from now or next week. Thanks for the help!

2. BeemanNew MemberMember

Nitrite appears a little high, I would wait for the cycle to finish before adding any fish. Ideally both ammonia and nitrite should be 0 in a cycled tank

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

You want to have 0-0-<20 ppm!

A 1.0 nitrite is definitely not ok and is toxic to your fish!

What size tank? How are you cycling the aquarium?

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

5. wapoosheValued MemberMember

I'm right now putting in a bit of fish food every other day as a source of ammonia. I already placed a bottle of beneficial bacteria when I started. I have a 75 gallon tank. The guy said that a 10% water change every two weeks would bring down nitrite and ammonia.

The guy said that a fishless cycle to complete takes months! Do i really have to wait this long? Or was he wrong and with my water params now what would you say i need to do to fix them and how long when i should be safe for 2 angels.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  6. SkookulBobValued MemberMember

I wouldn't put fish in a tank with 1.0 nitrite. The nitrite phase of the cycle seems to take the longest. People have had success accelerating the cycle with TSS+ and One and Only. I used both, and also Stability, but my cycle only took off with O&O. But that was probably a function of timing rather than TSS+ not working.

It just takes time. I learned that after sending two pairs of fish to the great planted aquarium in the sky.

You could also throw Prime or other stuff in to "detoxify" the nitrite temporarily, but you have to be vigilant. You'd also want to to run an air stone to keep Oxygen up, since nitrite reduces fish's capacity to absorb it (that's how it poisons them). Also, Prime or similar products will, in theory, reduce (chemically and colloquially) the oxygen available in the water.

You know, I'd suggest getting the API master test kit and keeping tabs on the process. 75 G tank, so in for a dime, in for a dollar.

If you keep adding an ammonia source (in your case, fish food), the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria will develop and start pumping out nitrite. But the nitrite-oxidizers are slower to develop because nitrite does not supply as much energy as ammonia. What started to happen to me was that nitrite would just build and build--and at some point it seemed to stall everything. What I needed to do was a few water changes to get the nitrite down, and then the cycle got going again. But it was a bit of a dance, and definitely helped to be able to test the water without going to the LFS.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

It can take months depending on how you do it.

The problem with big tanks is that the fish food method does not work that well. With bigger tanks, you probably want to use pure ammonia since you know exactly the amount of ammonia

Here is a nice guide: 

8. wapoosheValued MemberMember

already read that guide :p. Thanks though :)

9. BeemanNew MemberMember

Absolutely, the biggest mistake a new fish keeper makes is not waiting for their tank to cycle. Unfortunately you have to be patient. You can try things like cycling with fish where you add 1 cheap fish feed it and the waste it produces helps speed up the cycle or there are some chemicals you can but to speed it up but I think the best way is the patient way.

10. wapoosheValued MemberMember

alright thanks

11. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Patience is the key to be successful in this hobby :)!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice