Anaerobic Zone Killing Fish

1. abheeshs Member Member

Is it true? I watched a video which said the Hydrogen Sulfide will diffuse on contact with Oxygen, and will not kill fish.

Anyone here experienced this? Are you sure it was the anaerobic gases?
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you post a link to the video? It is possible for hydrogen sulfide to form in the substrate but under special circumstances.

3. abheeshs Member Member

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

We've had the "no water change" conversation many times here and we don't think it's a good idea. When you're dealing with a closed system like an aquarium there needs to be flow of nutrients in and wastes out. That's accomplished by water changes. If you keep your substrate fairly thin, I think less than 2 inches, the gases are likely to be able to dissipate on their own and not gather in large enough amounts to kill fish when they're released.

5. abheeshs Member Member

This thread is not about "no water change", but about anaerobic gases killing fish. I posted the video because it talks about H2S, don't look at the title.
  6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Good. But I did answer the question. Or at least I think I did.

On second thought I'm not sure if I understand your question. Of course H2S is going to dissipate on contact with the air, gases expand to fill whatever volume is available. Unless you mean that it reacts with oxygen to form a nontoxic product.
  7. abheeshs Member Member

Have anyone here experienced fish deaths because of anaerobic gases?

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've read threads here where that's happened but I think it's relatively rare. Most people don't have substrate deep enough for it to become a problem.