Anacharis Seed?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My friends, here I have what I believe is an anacharis seed. No really.

I was doing the usual water change, when suddenly this little "thing" floated out in front of me. Its root structure looks the same as the ones of an anacharis, but it was a "seed". Or at least it looked like one, so that's what I'll be assuming for the rest of the post.

Alas, tragedy struck when I tried to take it out of the water, and its seed coat fell off. The seed is still intact, currently in half a water bottle next to my tank right now.

Any ideas? I've attached two pictures of the seed with the brown seed coat next to it. The cotyledon appeared to be unharmed.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it's definitely a seed but as I've never seen Anacharis seeds I can't tell you if that's what it is or not. If you can work out a way to keep it in the main tank without getting destroyed would be the best way to raise it. Sometimes very young plants die from shock when conditions such as temperature change alot. Perhaps you can anchor it gently in some cotton wool & then anchor the cotton wool in the substrate? Otherwise keep it in the water bottle, change a little of the water each day & try to give it some light & warmth.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's what I'm doing. It's either anacharis or duckweed, the latter more likely despite the fact that I have absolutely no idea where it came from. Time will tell.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think it's Duckweed. They don't seed that I'm aware of & by the time it has a trailing root that long I would expect the leaves to have opened up. Could be another plant altogether that got transfered over in the roots of a plant you bought or scooped up with a new fish. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads