Anacharis lighting...

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How much lighting would my tank need for Anacharis in wattage if I have a 40 gallon tall tank about 20 inches deep. I use 18 inch light bulbs. Also this might sound like a stupid question but how is wattage calculated, if I have two light bulbs of 15 watts does it combine and equal 30 watts? Sorry for the corny questions but I am just getting started and cannot find this info on wattage for my tank specs on the forum!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi freshwaternoobi, welcome to fishlore

I don't have any specific experience with the plant, but just found the following info on Anacharis:
Provide at least 2 watts per gallon of light provided by full spectrum (5000-7000K) bulbs, and keep the aquarium water between 59°-82°F. Anacharis plants grow the best in water with 3-8 dKH with a neutral pH of 6.5-7.5
[source

What type of lighting are you using? T5HO (High Output), T8, Compact Flourescent?

You are correct that 2 x 15W tubes = 30W total.

I'm sure some of our more experienced plant keepers can probably offer specific experience.

freshwaternoobi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would be using 18 inch long compact fluorescent. So yeah, it's time to buy some new lights I have a forty gallon, 21 inch deep, so I guess I would need 80 watts, thanks!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes typically 2 watts per gallon is the minimum for plant life.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you wanted to try it as a floating plant, it would easily grow with the lighting you have.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads