Anacharis from pond

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by superawesome, Jul 10, 2015.

1. s

superawesome Valued Member Member

Ok guys here we go. Call me crazy, I don't care. I just got a bundle of anacharis from the pond behind where I work (pictures below). I'm planning on putting them in a 10 gallon aquarium for however long it takes to kill off bacteria and other things that might have come with it. I'm gonna make sure they root well and that there are no issues while in the tank. So I'm just gonna put plain tap water in the tank to start the "sterilization" process if you could call it that. If I notice any plant disease or decay them I'll start treating the water. I don't know how the plants would react if I start adding liquid fertilizer since they don't have roots yet. I'll debate on that when the time comes. Another thing I've heard is to add a small amount of bleach to the water to help kill off things in the plant but not keep it in that water more than ten minutes. I'm not too crazy on that either since they don't have roots yet. If I succeed on this then I'll move them to my 90 gallon. Anyway, I just thought I'd post this "crazy" idea of mine. Good luck to me.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds good to me. I've used plants from the lake before.

Bleach is recommended as a dip only. 19 water/1 bleach ratio . Anything more than a dip will kill the plants.
    I have used a hydrogen peroxide/water dip more successfully. any hp left on the plant when it goes into the tank breaks up into hydrogen and oxygen and is harmless.

I love anacharis from the lake. clean all the dirt off of it, remove any dead leaves then quarantine for a couple of weeks.

Is there any chance fertilized or other toxic waste could have drained into the lake you got it from?

good luck!

Carol

3. OP
    OP
    s

There could be a possibility of fertilizer. But it looks like the area around it doesn't get fertilized because it's been out of business for a while and the area where the plants are at is a drainage so it's not stagnant water. It smells the way it should though, that rich pond dirty smell . Anyways, I put them in a ten gallon tank with a filter so the water is circling nicely. I will keep them there until they root. I'm not gonna do the dip because I think the tap water is gonna take care of the organisms. Once they are rooted then I'll do the dip.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It should be noted that Egeria (Anacharis) is banned as an invasive in many states now, even as far north as Michigan and Indiana (my local region). It should not be shipped or carried into states where it is illegal. Check your state's list of banned invasives.

I used to use it a lot, especially in livebearer colonies. It used to be so common in LFS across the country, but these days they are afraid of everything.

Alum is a commonly used disinfectant for aquarium plants. I used to use it for the ones I collected when I was living in Florida.

5. OP
    OP
    s

I didn't know about that ban because Petco sells them.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the state you live in. These days the ban lists are long for plants. Some of them I've never even heard of, but they're banned.

I liked the old days, when they actually trusted people not to throw things in the local lake, fish or plants. Thank you Kudzu and Snakeheads for making it so hard!:;snail

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

The problem is people cannot be trusted. If you're from Florida you must know about all the cichlids that are living in the freshwaters there. And to be honest, if you want a snakehead, you can go and catch one.

8. OP
    OP
    s

WOW! ! I didn't know that plant is such a pain in the rear. As for the cichlids, I learned they have been here since the 1950s. They are more prominent in south Florida like Ft. Lauderdale, Miami areas. There are YouTube videos of people fishing for cichlids in water canals in Miami. Pretty fish but ugly to the eco system.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    s

Well people, it was a total disaster trying to get the plants to thrive. They all died in a week. So I need to learn more about the how to grow them. Oh well, better luck next time.

10. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

The water may have been too clean for them - and without fish there wouldn't be a source of nitrogen from BB.

11. OP
    OP
    s

Possibly so I even put fertilizer once in the water but I guess not as much as I would like. Anyway, the mother plant by my job is huge so I can get clippings any time I want.

12. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I would definitely give it another try then.

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It has to have a food source like fish waste or fertilizer added to the water.

Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice