Help Anacharis elodea

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My anacharis plants seem to be fading in color. I’ve had them for a couple years and they definitely have been growing just fine since now some are so long they can go across ( long ways) my 10 gallon. I recently changed to LED lights (use to have candescent bulb). They are free floating on the top and it seem that the main part of a couple of these plants are fading in color but the branches are still a nice fresh color of green. If anyone knows what could be wrong any help is much appreciated.
I have a 10 gal with a betta, small pack of cories, amazon sword plant, java fern and small Marimo balls. I’ve been checking water parameters weekly and did have some ammonia a week or so ago (fromsome frozen food getting stuck in the leaves of other plant) but that went back to being zero after a small water change and getting any leftovers out.

lc1958

Reaction score
You stated you change your lighting, your plants will probably require more nutrients. When I have backed off adding ferts my elodea seems to grey out.
Did you notice a growing spurt when you first changed your lighting? If so you may need to feed them more and do more trimming.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Elodea needs quite strong lighting, but as I use it specially to keep nitrates down it never even occured to me to use ferts.
Btw: Ammonia is bad for fish and other animals, plants on the other hand like it in small quantities.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can u take
Valpal908 said:
My anacharis plants seem to be fading in color. I’ve had them for a couple years and they definitely have been growing just fine since now some are so long they can go across ( long ways) my 10 gallon. I recently changed to LED lights (use to have candescent bulb). They are free floating on the top and it seem that the main part of a couple of these plants are fading in color but the branches are still a nice fresh color of green. If anyone knows what could be wrong any help is much appreciated.
I have a 10 gal with a betta, small pack of cories, amazon sword plant, java fern and small Marimo balls. I’ve been checking water parameters weekly and did have some ammonia a week or so ago (fromsome frozen food getting stuck in the leaves of other plant) but that went back to being zero after a small water change and getting any leftovers out.
a pic

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lc1958 said:
You stated you change your lighting, your plants will probably require more nutrients. When I have backed off adding ferts my elodea seems to grey out.
Did you notice a growing spurt when you first changed your lighting? If so you may need to feed them more and do more trimming.
I’m not sure if they any growth spurt it’s only been a couple days since I change from candescent to LED lights and since there’s a lot they all mix together. I agree I should probably trim some or take some out just to have more space to spread them out. I use thrive low tech fertilizer. Is that good? I also have some tabs should I add those too or would it be too much.
4EC3B24A-A227-42E9-B99E-6DFA837A4A18.jpeg

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tallen78 said:
Can u take

a pic
I picked one of them to get a clearer pic
A4004411-3665-427B-86FB-8BAD4D924606.jpeg
8C88B9C1-2A81-4ECE-B388-5E3C5B823327.jpeg
A9D187AE-B7E9-48C4-A3FA-480B6EA8019F.jpeg

It’s like the main part is getting dull but the branches still seem lively

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Valpal908 said:
I picked one of them to get a clearer pic
A4004411-3665-427B-86FB-8BAD4D924606.jpeg
8C88B9C1-2A81-4ECE-B388-5E3C5B823327.jpeg
A9D187AE-B7E9-48C4-A3FA-480B6EA8019F.jpeg

It’s like the main part is getting dull but the branches still seem lively
How long have u had them they may still be acclimating to ur water

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tallen78 said:
How long have u had them they may still be acclimating to ur water
About 3 years they use to be almost half this size when I bought them

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Valpal908 said:
About 3 years they use to be almost half this size when I bought them
I’m using this plant in my 20g with no fertilizer or nothing with a fluval plant 3.0 led and the tank is stuffed I pull some out every other week or so and it’s still pretty dense in there but when I first floated mine I had melting going on but I just left it and it all grew back

Attachments

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
you've had them for 3 years and this is as big as they are? I received a bit only 3 months ago and went from a few strands about 12'18" long to lengths over 3". So big, I've done several trimmings, and have propagated this everywhere. Its growing like a weed.
I can find some pictures to reference growth rate.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mhamilton0911 said:
you've had them for 3 years and this is as big as they are? I received a bit only 3 months ago and went from a few strands about 12'18" long to lengths over 3". So big, I've done several trimmings, and have propagated this everywhere. Its growing like a weed.
Yes mine also I’ve only had it about 4 months and like I said one tank is stuffed with it and I’ve moved it into several other tanks I don’t know if this makes a difference but what’s ur temp as crazy as this might sound the past 2-3 weeks it’s been very hot out and while at work and no one home I had my a/c and would come on two hrs before I get home but my tanks were getting warm 83-84 degrees but with that added heat some of my plants have doubled in size I could be wrong but that is the only thing that has changed

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tallen78 said:
Yes mine also I’ve only had it about 4 months and like I said one tank is stuffed with it and I’ve moved it into several other tanks I don’t know if this makes a difference but what’s ur temp as crazy as this might sound the past 2-3 weeks it’s been very hot out and while at work and no one home I had my a/c and would come on two hrs before I get home but my tanks were getting warm 83-84 degrees but with that added heat some of my plants have doubled in size I could be wrong but that is the only thing that has changed
The first pic was taken June 21st 2020 and the second pic was just now

Attachments

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Same, i'll find some comparison.

Small clump in bottom right corner. about 2 months ago.
IMG_20200517_110801042.jpg

Same clump now. So dense you cant see through it. And this is a 20" tall tank.
IMG_20200712_090800436.jpg

IMG_20200712_091744063.jpg

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
Some are bigger I haven’t measured any of them but if they get really long I tend to trim them in half or some just break while I’m cleaning the tank because they get tangled with each other

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tallen78 said:
I’m using this plant in my 20g with no fertilizer or nothing with a fluval plant 3.0 led and the tank is stuffed I pull some out every other week or so and it’s still pretty dense in there but when I first floated mine I had melting going on but I just left it and it all grew back
That’s kind of how my tank is looking I’ll take a pic when I’m home.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
I also cultivate more anacharis in jars in my kitchen window. I take the ugly dead looking ends and put them in a jar. They always start to sprout new green growth, then I cut that and it goes in another jar.
This produces a lot more. I've been taking those small stems and planting those in substrate.
Anacharis grows different if it's planted or if it's floating. Big, dense, longer leaves floating, and usually taller, thinner, smaller when planted, even in the same tank. Either way, it's a cool plant, easy to propagate and hard to kill. My fish love the jungle it provides.

OP
Valpal908

Valpal908

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The LED light is the bright bulb and I forgot to buy another LED bulb to replace my other candescent bulb. I was just thinking about the one that went out when I went to the pet store. But I’m planning to make them both LED bulbs
0AF6DB12-354D-45F0-B432-507292F72A03.jpeg
414B0ACB-54AD-4924-AFAF-FED9D1091694.jpeg

Attachments

New Threads