An Unlikely Ghost Shrimp Problem

1. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello all. I have a heavily planted 20 long with 8 peppered corys, 7 harlequin rasboras and a dwarf gourmai. I like a "simple" looking tank. Meaning I focused heavily on aquascaping first and foremost, then added fish to compliment the tank. I decided to add 4 ghost shrimp not long ago, just for a little something extra to add interest and as a clean up crew. I chose ghost shrimp because I heard it's pretty difficult to successfully raise baby ghosts as I dont want a big shrimp colony. With all the fish in my tank, 3 h.o.b. filters with no mesh blocking babies from getting sucked up i figured I wouldn't have to deal with a ghost population explosion. unfortunately thats not the case, I just counted around 16-18 full grown ghostys, and countless little little ones. It's cool and all.....but they kind of clutter the look of my tank as I like a more simple looking tank. They are not afraid of anything and constantly zipping all over. Almost remind me of mosquitos zinging around.....I don't want to kill them. Nor do I want so many in my tank.....any advice on what to do with them or how to slow down breeding? I know it's a long shot at a feasible answer but figured I'd ask.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

That's a heck of a problem. Maybe your local lfs will take them in trade. Barring that, if you have 50 posts, you could list them on the swap board.

3. Dila415

Dila415 Valued Member Member

Can we see pictures? ghosts need brackish waters to spawn.. highly doubt you have ghost shrimp.

4. OP
    OP
    toeknee

Here's a few of them roaming around now, tough to get clear pics with the cell phone. 1.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

that would be amano shrimp not ghosts.

6. OP
    OP
    toeknee

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, ghost shrimplets can survive in fresh water. Now they are surviving because your tank is so plant densed.

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

It isn't too much of a problem IMO.

They are a good cleanup crew and don't have that much of a bioload.

9. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

@Dila415 and david1978. Folks not an attack, but just wanted to point out that ghost shrimp do not need brackish water to spawn they will do so in freshwater. Amano shrimp need saltwater for the Zoe’s to survive until they move back into fresh water, but Amano shrimp do give birth in freshwater. Ghost shrimp need an algae rich environment for the larva to eat most of us do not have enough micro algae in the water for them to live on or enough hiding places.
    Just wanted to set the record straight, again not an attack.
    @OP the shrimp you have are in my opinion Ghost shrimp, this is very rare in my experience, congrats . Now that said, be carful because they can get aggressive and my go after other things in your tank.

10. Dila415

Dila415 Valued Member Member

Oops my mistake I was confused thanks :)

11. OP
    OP
    toeknee

Thanks, I have noticed that since the ghost population has increase my cory's which are usually out and about quite a bit have been hiding much more and I've been wondering if the ghosts are pestering them. the ghosties are definitely not shy they will barge their way into a shrimp pellet the corys are feasting on. I have a 10 gallon hospital tank I think I'll start putting ghosts in and then posting them here in the swap section for people to have for free if they pay shipping. It's cool they're breeding and all but I'd rather have only 5-6 or so in my main tank. Thanks everyone for the responses.

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like the best plan, they won't mind a smaller tank and if it isn't heavily planted you likely will only have to pull the out of the bigger tank when you see them. But yes ghosts are very bold, so they may be frightening the cories.

13. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Valued Member Member

There are also some fish that will eat baby shrimp, if you wanted to go more of a "circle of life" route ;) or switch to a neo variety that are less aggressive.

Swapping/selling/donating would probably be the best route though.

14. Sarah73

Not just some. All fish find shrimplets a tasty snack. Here's a momma 20180526_160611.jpg

15. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

wow! they are so cool looking! i really like the ghosts, but my lfs doesnt sell shrimp, so i usually have to buy online, so keep me in mind ;) thanx. ps beautiful tank, so green lol

16. Sarah73

Talking to me? Or?

17. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i was talking to op, he mentioned possibly selling some in the furure, ;)

18. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Congrats on your baby shrimp!

These appear to me to be ghost shrimp, but beware, they can be really aggressive. I used to have a 5 gallon fry tank about 6 years ago and I had one big, fat ghost shrimp in there. The thing was a 4 inch monster. It absolutely huge. Whenever I'd add fry to the tank, a few of them could be seen the next day, dead, with eyes and fins missing.

Desperate to come to a solution, I watched the tank for two hours one night. Lo and behold, my ghost shrimp would wait in a cave for an unsuspecting baby to swim by, then would lunge out lightning fast and would kill the baby with it's pinchers. After that, I returned that bad boy to the LFS. If your other fish are suffering, I would advise on lowering the ghostie population to just the small ones so that they can't hunt other fish.

19. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

That was not a ghost shrimp then, they do not get that big (the common ones that are bred as feeders, other types might get that big but you likely had a whisker shrimp not a ghost). If they aren't getting food like any other animal they are going to try and get it another way, and little fish make a great snack for most of those animals.

20. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Just looked up what a whisker shrimp was, that looks to be what I had. Both shrimp species look quite similar though.