An Old Dog Going Through Basic Obedience Class

jenmur
So I have a 12 year old rescue dog. For fun I signed her up for a basic obedience class at Petco. Adult dog 1. I dunno how much we will learn but it gets us out and about and socialize. 5 other dogs in the class. Figured I’d track Fergies progress on here . The class does start new stuff with treats. We will learn to start weaning them shortly after once dogs learn what we mean. (This doesn’t mean we never treat our dogs but we become more selective)

Week One we learned to focus when name is called. This was the first thing and we had some great distractions in the form on dogs barking and a bunch of carrying on right next to us. Fergie did good with this. Even with distractions. Did I mention Fergie is extremely food motivated?? Second thing was Sit. Lure dog, treat. Work up to saying command (only say command once). Then no luring if possible. Got Fergie to where I say Sit with arms at side and then get treat out and reward. Yay!! Started Come as well. Right now just walking/jogging backwards while calling them and giving treat after. A big game!

Classes are Sunday’s 4-5pm.

CanadianFishFan
I did 4-H with my old little dog, 4 years he learned so much info! His little brain knew so many things he went from beginner, intermediate and then senior! He even beat all the other dogs in our group in Agility and got overall 1st place! And there was other dogs even better then him. Sadly he passed away this winter but I enjoyed working with him. old dogs can learn a lot still! He was also a rescue but he got him as a puppy who came in to canada from California!

jenmur
I did 4-H with my old little dog, 4 years he learned so much info! His little brain knew so many things he went from beginner, intermediate and then senior! He even beat all the other dogs in our group in Agility and got overall 1st place! And there was other dogs even better then him. Sadly he passed away this winter but I enjoyed working with him. old dogs can learn a lot still! He was also a rescue but he got him as a puppy who came in to canada from California!

Oh awesome!!! I dunno how much Fergie will pick up but that doesn’t matter to me. She had fun today. I’m hoping she does learn though, cuz she seems like she has a brain up there. Just gotta work with her. Dunno if I’d try Agility but maybe a few tricks for fun? She’s a little overweight so jumping too much might not be good for her joints.
Aww, it sucks when you lose a pet. I had a dog for 17 1/2 years and he learned a ton.
Oh forgot to post a picture of Fergie!!

IMG_0159.jpg

She has drank water. Eaten dinner (which I halved since a bunch of treats were had) and now is out cold!

jenmur
So this week we learned Down, which was hard for Fergie since you lure with treat going straight down and then away. So I laid down with her and she started to get it so we were able to lure down with me sitting on the floor by end of class! . Also worked with Stand (still need treat in hand for that cuz she sits too quickly). Talked about how to work on keeping all four paws on the floor for jumping. Started Leave It which she did surprisingly well at cuz we used food. Fergie is a food hound!! But she quickly realized that when she looks away from the hand holding the peanut butter cookie she gets a meaty treat. We also worked more on Come

Fergie sniffing around after class.

IMG_0283.jpg

Pescado_Verde
My dog was so smart. He went from "Sit" to "Lay down" all on his own. That was one. lazy. dog. He'd lay on the floor to eat. Good luck with Fergie!

jenmur
My dog was so smart. He went from "Sit" to "Lay down" all on his own. That was one. lazy. dog. He'd lay on the floor to eat. Good luck with Fergie!

Good dog!!! Hey it helped with learning down . Hehe. Yeah Fergie didn’t know I wanted her to follow the treat at first. Thanks! Doing this class for fun and something to do with her

jenmur
So today we upped the ante on Leave It by dropping the thing on the floor. Fergie picked it up rather quickly . Also started Stay and Walking Nicely. We also continued working on Sit Down Come and Stand. We got to be able to do all without luring with a treat and only using the hand signals. Good dog! Lots of people ended up coming in our aisle so she got distracted and worried so I did have to repeat myself a few times but that’s ok. It hasn’t happened before.

stella1979
Awww, what a good girl!

FlipFlopFishFlake
And they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

jenmur
stella1979. She is! Have to be closer to her with downstay vs sitstay but that’s ok.

FlipFlopFishFlake. They do say that. Fergie says otherwise. She is very food modivated!

jenmur
We worked on Come Sit Stay Down and Leave It. Upped ante on Leave It. We walked them by things already on the ground. Fergie did good for a food hound . Left the cookie, chicken jerky and dental treat alone. New command is Wait. She’s not a fan of the hand signal which is moving your hand across your body. I have to move real slow. She’s doing better with Stay in both sit and down forms. And we have started working on walking beside me and sitting outside.

motherofbettas
I'm a bit late to this thread, but my 10 year old rough collie, Angel LOVES learning new tricks! She's extremely smart, and if it's too wet and rainy for a walk {her primary love language} then we supplement with learning a new trick. It sounds like Fergie is doing so well in her classes! Keep us updated!

jenmur
I'm a bit late to this thread, but my 10 year old rough collie, Angel LOVES learning new tricks! She's extremely smart, and if it's too wet and rainy for a walk {her primary love language} then we supplement with learning a new trick. It sounds like Fergie is doing so well in her classes! Keep us updated!

Fergie seems to be enjoying the new things. And making new friends which is an added bonus of a group class! . Ohh good idea! I didn’t even think about working on new stuff if it’s rainy out and we can’t do our normal walks. Oh of course! I’m enjoying taking her to class and she knows when I put on her leather collar we go somewhere in the car. Hehe.

jenmur
So the class yesterday we worked on Stay and Come. Longer distance with Stay (both sit and down). Fergie managed to do the distance of her leash (6’) before we left! Yay!! Good dog! She’s a bit clingy.
Come involved hide n seek. The trainer held the leash while I went first just to end of aisle and off to side. Excellent! Second time was down and inside two aisles away. She ran past my aisle to say a quick hI to people buying stuff. Hehehe. But she did come when I called again. After that Fergie had some laser focus! I hid myself all around the store and each time she followed my voice and ignored other people. So she did good.
On Saturday I got her groomed. She has seasonal allergies with her skin so she got a nice tree tea and aloe shampoo and a hot oil treatment. To my knowledge first time being groomed and according to Dee she did good. Figure we’ll go every few months.

IMG_0407.jpg

Planning on doing Adult dog level 2 starting end of September. Then I’d like to do the AKC Canine Good Citizen class. I dunno how’d she do with the actual test but I also don’t know if we’d do the test. But she has enjoyed class so much.

stella1979
Thank you so much for sharing this experience! Reading of Fergie's adventures brings big smiles. It doesn't hurt that she is incredibly adorable!!!

jenmur
Thank you so much for sharing this experience! Reading of Fergie's adventures brings big smiles. It doesn't hurt that she is incredibly adorable!!!

Welcome . I wanted to put this down so I’d remember and have fun tracking how she did. She is adorable.....and she knows it!
Dunno what this Sunday will be. It’s last time for class.

jenmur
So today was the last class. Only three of us showed up. Ollie the pit bull and Sasha the Bichon. And Fergie and I. We all wanted to work on Come and Stay. Fergie and I worked on lengthening the Stay as much as possible. And also Stay while I walked away instead of backing away from her.
But we completed Adult Dog Level 1!!

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Gonna sign her up for Adult Dog Level 2. The class I’m gonna have her in starts September 29th. 10:30am.

Dawn Michele
Congratulations Fergie!!! She is adorable!!!

jenmur
Congratulations Fergie!!! She is adorable!!!

Thanks! . I’m so proud of her!! She’s come a long way since I got her.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• jenmur
  • Dog
Replies
Views
jenmur
  • PhantomSlayer
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies