An Introduction. 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bulldogge16, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Bulldogge16New MemberMember

Hello All,

Just signed up to begin learning here the other day. Thought I would say "Hello", & begin with a quick question.
    I have been learning about the cycling. My tank is setup as per the norm. Water was conditioned, and the ammonia was added two days ago to begin the process. My question is this. Inorder to accelerate the cycle, one can add a "seed material". Normally this would be filter material or such.
    I have a friend who has just started a cycle on his tank after a complete clean, so that is out of the question. However he does have a unfiltered pond goldfish tank. There is a filter & airation just no meida in it. Would it be a good idea to use the gravel, or some water from this tank. I will not be housing aGoldfish when the time comes. I have heard that Goldfish are alot more dirty compared to other fish.
    So thats it. I have enjoyed reading everything this site has to offer. (it has been keeping up late, I cant stop reading I am a addict to knowledge.) So thanks in advance to any advice you may be willing to offer. It's much apperciated.

Mike

2. redlessiWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

I personally would not use any water from his pond as you have no idea what is in it and the most beneficial bacteria is held in the media of the filter. There may be some on the gravel but I would have the friend test the water parameters before using it.

Good Luck............

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt use it at all. Mixing pond material with a fish tank could kill the fish. I would just let it cycle naturally. Best of Luck.

4. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Carol

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore Bulldog. :;hi2

I'm with Chris. I wouldn't use anything from the friends pond. You would be better served by asking your LFS for a little of the media or gravel, (preferably both), out of thier filters & tanks assuming they all look clean & healthy & contain only healthy fish.

7. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore!!! great advice from others :)

8. RhanWell Known MemberMember

I just read the post, and it seems like he's saying that his friend has 'pond goldfish' in an unfiltered tank (not a pond). Would this make any difference to the responses? I don't know personally, but it just seemed like people assumed his friend's goldfish are in a pond, where as the post says its an unfiltered tank.

Or maybe I just read that completely wrong :;smack

Clarification is a wonderful thing :;tea

9. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

10. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

11. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! Please make yourself at home.

If you want to speed up the cycle I suggest you do as I did to cycle a tank from zero in 11 days.

1) Place some low-light stem floating plants (say Tropical Hornwort or alike) AND run the lights on 24/7 (to have full day cycle of photosynthesis so more oxygen is released in the water column). Once the cycle is completed, set the lights for 14 hours on daily.

2) Raise the temp as close to 34C (say 93F) by adjusting your heater (you would need to adjust it to fish safe values after the fishless cycle is completed). Temperature is positively correlated with bacterial growth rate (however temperature higher than 34C is likely to compromise the growht due to absence of dissolved oxygen).

3) lower the water level a bit so your HOB filter makes as hard splash in the water as possible (to aid in gas exchage, so constant supply of oxygen goes into the water column).

4) Measure ammonia daily, if needed be more than once per day. Keep it within the 3 to 4 ppm range through the whole day. This is the optimal range in my experience. Less than 3ppm as well as more than 6ppm seems to stall the cycle (for whatever reason it prolongs the Ammonia-Spike phase). After four days, start looking for Nitrites.

5) Once you detect Nitrites, keep adding Ammonia as usual UNTIL it reaches 1ppm. Once at or over 1ppm I consider I have a Nitrite Spike. so...

6) Once Nitrite Spike is detected feed your tank twice a day (every twelve hours) but this time aim at half-X. That is the 1.5-2ppm of Ammonia range. At this point Ammonia is consumed quite fast. All you need to do is keep an eye on the Nitrite Spike, it may seem like it lasts forever but...

7) Nitrite will fade down, likely on the seventh day after it was first detected (it could happen earlier). Once it starts to fade down, keep dosing as usual until it reads ZERO. At that time your tank is fully cycled. You should detect Nitrates. Keep dosing ammonia until you are ready for your fish. Perform a huge water change (say 75%) with treated tap water and adjust temperature down. Once the temperature is steady, acclimate your new fish and have fun.

Note: When I cycle this way it is quite safe to assume that the filter media will handle the bioload of a reasonably stocked tank, so I add all fish at once. I haven't had problems, except for fish that came home already sick.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

12. Bulldogge16New MemberMember

Thank you everyone for all the advice, & welcomes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice