An instant cycle

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Dont want to count my chickens just yet but it looks like i have cycled the new 24g tank almost instantly with seeded media. Test is around 5ppm nitrates and 0 0 ammonia and nitrite. 5 small minnows I hope will produce the bioload to feed BB.

Im just stunned how effective the seeding has been. If this does work as easily as it has I will never attempt a cycle again without seeding the filter somehow!

Khory4611

Did you just pull media from another filer and place it in the new one? Are you going up a size or is it from a larger tank?

Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Going down a size. I pulled an entire fine sponge and some bio rings from a larger tank canister filter. I then removed existing carbon basket and fine sponge from new tank filter and modified the 2 tier smaller internal filter to accommodate the seeded media. I put the resulting spare sponges back in the canister.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

You said it right, don't count your chickens....

I have had to do an on the fly instantly cycling in an emergency. But it has always been with a smaller tank.

I have multiple, well cycled and balanced tanks to pull from. By taking water, hardscape, plants, and filter media from these tanks, I have been able to create an almost cycled tank. Got to remember, tank water it's self does not house a lot of beneficial bacteria, whereas hardscape, plants, and filter media does, but tank water is still balanced when it comes from a well established tank so a good start.

Key word here, "almost". The new tank still needs constant monitoring at first. Most likely it is going to go through changes as it adjust. In my case, not a big deal, mostly a water change. In rare cases I've had to totally replace one of my beloved sponge filters with another from an established tank (I love my sponge filters since most of them are doubles and I'm able to snatch one here and one there to make a seeded sponge filter),

In short, what you are doing can be done, just needs you to keep on track of your water prams as you do it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question