An Experimental Tank

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I decided to try an experiment: Dry starting a 20 Long and keeping two different color sand separated in addition to creating an Iwagumi-inspired aquascape.

I filled filter media bags with sand and gravel to raise the back corner in addition to pieces of corrugated plastic to act as retaining walls with the large pieces of river rock and a spare driftwood piece I had. I mixed up gravel with pool filter sand to kinda give it that beachy/mountainy feel. The large cup in the back is my way of trying to hide the sponge filter that will go inside it. It won't pick up much debris so I'll have to do that maintenance myself.

I used an old plastic fish bag as a way of keeping the blue sand separated from the tan sand. The plant is Monte Carlo, an easy low light carpeting plant. The light is a Finnex Stingray LED. It's considered low light but because my 20 Long is such a shallow tank, it's really more of a medium light. I put Thrive fertilizer in a bottle filled with water and sprayed 2/3rds of it on the Monte Carlo. The Saran wrap is a way of keeping humidity high while leaving a small corner open to allow for air exchange.

So hopefully you guys like what I've done so far. Only time will tell if this will actually work or not.

IMG_20180804_192350.jpg

IMG_20180804_204659.jpg

IMG_20180804_214841.jpg

IMG_20180805_160408.jpg

IMG_20180805_185202.jpg

IMG_20180805_190112.jpg

IMG_20180805_195134.jpg

IMG_20180805_195141.jpg

IMG_20180805_195922.jpg

IMG_20180805_195117.jpg

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks really cool. Did you check to see if the dye in the sand was fish safe tho? Also note some fish like to root around in substrate and may make a bit of a mess of things over time.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks really cool. Did you check to see if the dye in the sand was fish safe tho? Also note some fish like to root around in substrate and may make a bit of a mess of things over time.
It's Crayola play sand. Completely tank safe and non-toxic. It's literally the softest sand I've ever felt in my life. If you do a search, there are threads about it on here. I think someone had a goldfish tank with the same sand.

And I'm not really planning on fish with this tank. It will be a shrimp tank. Maybe some Otos but Nerites are planned for certain.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That looks really cool, not a fan of the blue river but the rest looks nice. I don’t think the MC will grow with only the spraying of ferts on it’s leaves. Since they’re not going to be grow under water, they cant really use it. They’ll need a substrate with nutrients. But, it is just an experiment.

What’s the cup for in the back? nvm just read it again lol

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm only following what the YouTube videos on dry starts did. I think once the plants fill out, the blue sand river will look better and more natural.

So I did a bit more research and learned that Co2 will be needed when converting over to submerged because of the amount of Co2 taken from the air to suddenly almost no Co2 in water.

So now I need to figure out a way to keep the plants alive after I flood the tank. I've only done Excel by way of Co2 before.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Update: the Monte Carlo is indeed growing but in an interesting way. The submerged ones are spreading out as expected but the ones that are being sprayed are growing both horizontally and vertically.

They've grown roots by now so they should be much more secure. I'm considering flooding the tank ahead of time so there's no more vertical growth but since I don't have a CO2 kit, it may melt back some. The water has developed some kind of green algae film so increasing the water levels might be a better idea to more evenly distribute the Thrive fertilizer I'm using.

Not sure what to do.

IMG_20180823_011338.jpg

IMG_20180823_011353.jpg

IMG_20180823_012542.jpg
IMG_20180823_011319.jpg

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thrive is fine to use to spray on the plants. The ferts will be used as it soaks through the substrate and in some cases, absorbed through the leaves.

This is certainly an interesting tank, but the shrimp will have fun mixing the substrate - they like to pick up a piece and carry them around and eat off micro inverts....

Following.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom