An Exciting Way To Wake Up!

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi! As some of you know I have a breeding pair of firemouth cichlids that has had two failed attempts. Their first batch got eaten, and the second batch didn’t look fertilized, or so I thought. I woke up this morning to about 200 frees swimming firemouth baby’s being guarded by there parents! This is the first time I have had egg laying fish successfully have eggs hatch, so my question is:
What now? Do I move them, leave them in the tank, if I leave them in the tank how long should I leave them in there? My QT has fish in it currently so I don’t really have a place to move them. Should I just leave them in there a while and see how it goes?

P.S. here is a pic:
image.jpg

P.S.S. What is the chance of an albino?

P.S.S.S. How many eggs typically survive in a egg batch? Should I move them to a separate tank, would that give them a better chance of survival? If I leave them in the tank with the parents (and other cichlids) how many should survive? I want as many to live as possible so what should I do, move them or leave them in the tank? Thanks

Tagged People: Coptapia richie.p TheDarkAbyss

EDIT: I think I am going to move half of the babies to a separate grow-out tank and leave half in the community tank. That way I can see, first hand, which method allows more of the babies to survive. What do you think about that plan? Also how should I prep the grow out tank. I was thinking I would totally do a full water change on the 20 gallon QT tank, put in 15 gallons of freshwater and put some of the biocube water in. Think that will work?

EDIT AGAIN: Actually I think I am just going to leave the babies in the tank for now. The parents will protect them until they are larger. Then I will move them to QT when the mollys are moved out.

EDIT AGAIN!: I have decided to move some of them to a small toat like container that will have a heater and filter until the are larger. Once they are bigger I will move them to the 20 gallon

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wasn’t tagged, but I’d just say leave them in there, an see how it goes!! If they start to get eaten, then move them!! I love your fish!!

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
I wasn’t tagged, but I’d just say leave them in there, an see how it goes!! If they start to get eaten, then move them!! I love your fish!!
Thanks

However I think I am going to move half of them out, leave half of them in, and see which way has more babies survive. I have a nice little 5 gallon bin that I am going to fill with tank water, decorate, throw an extra filter and heater in and see how it goes. Do you think if I remove half the babies the parents will stop protecting the others, I don't want to stress them out to much either.

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey everyone! I just got home and moved one scoop full of babies into a separate tank. I didn’t get nearly half of the batch but I want to see if these guys make it overnight. If they do I will prob add one more scoop to the separate tank. Here are the guys in the separate container and here are the guys in the main tank (the separate container is just a small (Aprox 2 gallons) container with a 1 gallon filter and a heater placed in (and some decor)):
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wasn’t laughing at u I was just laughing to myself about all the edits and ps and pss and psss ... congrats on the new fry hope they do well... great looking parents!!

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kallililly1973 said:
I wasn’t laughing at u I was just laughing to myself about all the edits and ps and pss and psss ... congrats on the new fry hope they do well... great looking parents!!
Lol, I know! I didn’t want the post to go off of the unread section.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sweet!! They are so small!! Ok much is a baby fire mouth worth?

Edit: How big is the tank they are in? (The adults)

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
Sweet!! They are so small!! Ok much is a baby fire mouth worth?

Edit: How big is the tank they are in? (The adults)
Hi! I plan to sell them for 1-2$ (depending on size). The adults are in a 36 gallon aquarium, 1 can be in a 10 gallon. A breeding pair can be in a 20 gallon, and a 30 could hold 4.

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
Sweet!! Are they Chiclids? Or a different kind? I’m a noob when it comes to fish species!!
Yes these guys are South American cichlids. They are very territorial so they are not good in a community setting. The species is firemouth cichlid

New Threads