An easy way to keep a single snail? Question

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

My sister (14) has wanted a pet snail for years. I have no idea why a snail specifically but, that's what she wants. My mum has thrown away numerous jars that contain a few leaves and a garden snail. She really, really wants a pet snail.

It is her birthday coming up and I am wanting to get her an aquatic snail and a small set-up. I only want to give her one and if it reproduces I can take any young to my tanks.

What is the smallest tank size for a single snail? I am thinking of getting her a pink apple snail. Am I right in assuming it will need a filter and heater? I doubt one snail will have a big bioload but they do poop a lot! My brother (his 18th is a week after my sisters birthday) loves my betta and I could combine the two if the snail needs a large enough tank and filter anyway. But my first thought is just to get my sister a snail and see how they get on with that before getting a betta.

I have no idea how to care for a single snail so any help would be appreciated. I have some calcium blocks, algae wafers and a veg clip and I go to their house most days so I plan on maintaining the tank for her (My OCD once again) and I know my mum would doubt she would look after it. If she changes her mind, it will just come and live with me.

thank you x

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

A single apple/Mystery snail can live by itself in a 3 gallon minimum. They do have a heavy bioload so if she is planning to add fish later, I would go at least a 5 gallon.

As for care, they don't need much. A heated tank ( 75 - 78 degrees ) high ph ( 7.0 and higher ) hard water

As for food, I used to supplement mine with fresh veggies such as zucchini, squash, carrots, broccoli and I also added liquid calcium once a week to help their shells.

If she wants smaller snails with smaller bioloads, she can probably get like 10 Nerites in a 5 gallon no problem. They don't breed in fresh water and they have tons of different patterns and varieties. Much more interesting, in my opinion.

3. Animalover Member Member

The mystery snails do get pretty big so if she is afraid of big snails, you might want to get the nerite snail, but if not, either would be a good option.

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

She is not afraid, she loves them. Whenever she comes to my house, she spends most of the time staring into my snail tank.. and they're just pond snails and red ramshorns and she thinks the assassins are really pretty.

Seeing as I'd be getting her a 3 Gallon for a snail, I might as well get a 5 Gallon and see how they feel 'looking after' the snail... I will be doing the cleaning and maintenance, and ensuring it is healthy... She will just be feeding it.

I will look into Nerites. I have only seen the Zebra ones locally but if I could get her a variety without them breeding that would be quite good. I could get her a new snail every birthday and christmas for the next five years that way ;)

thanks for your help.x

5. Greececonvict003 Member Member

Very Interesting! Where do you find that kind stuff of liquid calcium? From the Health Store?

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

7. Greececonvict003 Member Member

Thanks so much for your big help!! :D

8. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I use the blocks, you can buy them on eBay pretty cheap and the snails love them!x

9. Greececonvict003 Member Member

Thanks so much! :;snail