An Appropriate Gift for my 12 Year Old Daughter

ricmcc

My wife and I were recently asked if we would object to my Daughter's school having her sit for several exams so that she may enter the gifted program at her school. We readily agreed, as she has indicated that she finds the current curriculum to be somewhat boring, which we feel could lead to poor study habits. At any rate, she has been accepted into it, to commence this December.
Given the date, and to reward her for getting into the program, I feel that a slight gift combined with her normal Christmas present would be appropriate.
As she is enamored of all things Japanese, to the point of teaching herself semi-fluent (we are told) spoken Japanese, she would like nothing better than a trip to Japan; however, given her age, she would have have to be accompanied, by me it turns out, my being retired and having the time. There are two problems with this, however-one, would a self respecting country allow me to visit, and two, her rather Devil may care sense of humour might backfire on me somewhat, as I can easily see her translating my request for a hamburger into something like, " he would like the "remember Pearl Harbour Pufferfish", and would prefer it prepared by an apprentice Chef, as he believes in giving youth a chance; and perhaps followed by an order of 'bad luck at Midway, eh?' raw squid salad'.
On these grounds, I have decided that such a trip should be postponed, while still giving her something extra, and educational as a gift.
I recall well giving her a telescope for her 11th birthday, as she had indicated a clear interest in Astronomy, having said something along the line of "my it is clear tonight" on our after supper walk;she also exhibited clear Thespian talents that would be the envy of Sarah Bernhardt, cleverly feigning coma during approximately 29:36 of the subsequent half hour lecture I delivered on astronomy. Actually getting the telescope was a breeze, as it happened to be the very model which I had had my eye on for over a year. And she does use it everyday, or night, rather, primarily as a hat rack, I will admit, but I strongly feel that she will grow into it.
So, a perfect solution has occurred to me; a gift both entertaining and vastly educational: that is to say an aquarium suitable for a beginner, something along the lines of of a 260g to get her started, with any gadgets that Big Al's might happen to carry (she has indicated a great interest in aquariums, in that I feel her devoting so much time to ridiculing my interest in the hobby shows a clear latent interest).
My problem lies in convincing my wife of the wisdom of my choice, which is further burdened by her spending a great deal of time with my doctor in an attempt to have me Institutionalized.
Any suggestions as to how I might better present my argument would be most welcome.
(Warning; some of the foregoing is based somewhat on truth)--------rick

endlercollector

Take her to Japan--she'll have a ball. The younger she goes, the better because the Japanese love children. You'll see immediately that they have few kids--it's too expensive. We took our daughter when she was 4, and she had a blast. She did embarrass me in front of the Imperial Palace, of course. She was behind me, and I saw some Japanese women with their hands over their mouths, giggling. I turned around, and she had her dress over her face, belly button on display. Sigh.

If you do go, reserve space for a visit to the GhiblI Studio. Absolute must see for kids.

Or easier: a Hayao MiyazakI film if she hasn't seen them. Recommended: My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Ponyo, Nausica in the Valley of the Wind.

As for the tank, even my husband would freak if I tried to do that, and he's incredibly easy going. Not too many people would be able to handle 3 strange dogs (in addition to the 3 we already had) on the bed and barking when he walks in and wakes us all up after a week away...

IchthysMan

I like the science approach. Pepper the discussion about creating an organic, functional ecosystem with her love for all things Japanese and perhaps you can set her on a journey to research Japanese fish species and aquatic plants... 260g is a tough sell tho (I've been barking up that tree with my wife for a while... I can't wait until my 6 year old is old enough to pass off MY desire for a huge tank on him, haha!) good luck!

aylad

I'm sorry, I have no advice for you, but wow, that made my day. Thank you.

IchthysMan

If you do go, reserve space for a visit to the GhiblI Studio. Absolute must see for kids.

Or easier: a Hayao MiyazakI film if she hasn't seen them. Recommended: My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Ponyo, Nausica in the Valley of the Wind.

YES YES YES!!! And don't forget Howl's Moving Castle... My all time favorite MiyazakI film (and that's saying something)

endlercollector

YES YES YES!!! And don't forget Howl's Moving Castle... My all time favorite MiyazakI film (and that's saying something)

I love that movie, too Have you read the book? It's really different--I like them both but as separate experiences.

IchthysMan

Oooh, I haven't. I'll have to add that one in behind Wool (half way through, it's AWESOME!), and the Game of Thrones series (that one's going to take a while... maybe I can bump Howl's ahead of Thrones). Is the title the same?

Sorry to derail... oops

Fashooga

An opportunity to explore and travel with your loved ones is one that retains the most memory.

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

jileha

Oh boy, what a lengthy tale just to get our approval for your indulgence into MTS and using your poor daughter as an excuse. Shame on you!

Make sure your wife doesn't get to see your post, or she might show it to your doctor to hasten his decision regarding your institutionalization.

So focus on what your daughter really would like, not your MTS. Ask her.
And think about what achievements of your own you could bring to the table when negotiating the object of your MTS desire. But I don't think the fact that, with a tank that size - yes, size does matter! - you would be the envy of each and every one of us on this board would be a very convincing argument.

I'm not sure anybody here should give you any advise regarding this matter, or we might inadvertently get involved in your divorce proceedings.

But we do want to see tons of pictures, in the event you can pull it off!

BTW, should you ever write a novel, put me down for a pre-order!

lorianne621

I suggest that you find a way to make the tank truly your daughter's. Perhaps a Japanese themed tank? Now that has potential, does it not? There must be some way to make this work.

Rivieraneo

Or Japanese fish? Ranchu, Fantail, tosakin?

ricmcc

A modest proposal to the I.O.C.'s new Head. Given that ballroom dancing has appeared in the Olympics, and that Tokyo has won the bid to host the games, why not allow an 8 fish Oscar team to enter into the Synchronized Swimming event? Two birds with one stone.
As everyone who follows sport is aware, the key to Gold lies the in proper training facilities.
I shall start work on an application for a Government Grant tonight; it will by no means be the most outlandish offered them, or awarded.---rick

GuineaPigster

Take it from a teen:
Get her a tank!!! (Okay, okay, perhaps not all teens would want a tank, but I sure would!!)
What about something smaller.....say, a 125?
OR
A huge pond with koi!

Graphix

wow... you're spoiling your daughter while spoiling yourself! Luckyy, lol, "something simple like a 250 gallon" why don't you say that to my parents XD

GuineaPigster

How about something a bit more complex........like a 1,000 gallon?

Graphix

How about something a bit more complex........like a 1,000 gallon?

LOL don't you mean more simple?

GuineaPigster

No! If a 260 is simple, than a 1,000 is a tad more complex!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies
Views
aquatic1
  • Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986