an acclimation question?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so i have a 29 g tank and i just bought a 75 gallon tank, i want to put all my existing fish into the 75, should i acclimate them to the new tank, even if i am using the same bio from the 29 gallon? if so how long?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you intend to use your filter and all contents of the 29 gallon in your new 75 gallon as a starting point, then you could add the fish immediately. Besides, running your 29 gallon filter with the new 75 gallon filter will help give your cycle a kick start and reduce the amount of time needed.

Congrats on the new tank!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you asking if you should acclimate them or if you need to cycle the new tank?

If you're pulling all of the substrate, decorations, filter and other devices from the 29 gallon and putting all of it into the 75 gallon, then you could probably get away with not cycling the 75 gallon tank as you're bringing all of the bacteria along with the fish. However, since you're using new water, you still need to acclimate them.

If you're keeping all of the aforementioned items in the 29 gallon and starting all over with the 75 gallon, then you need to cycle the 75 gallon from scratch (would be best if you seeded thhe 75 gallon with filter media from the 29 gallon).

Let me know if I misunderstood your question and I'll try to answer it again

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i will be using the 20-40 hob filter that i have on the 29 in the 75, along with two other 20-40 hob filters that haven't been used in a while but they still work. i will be seeding the tank with filter media and my sand from the 29. i think that i will use some of the water from the 29 in the 75 just to make sure. but since it is a new tank, and new water, how long should i wait to put the fish in the 75, and do i acclimate them?

also what is the best way to switch everything over, i mean, how do i do this?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depending on how sensitive the fish are, I think you'd be ok just doing a simple temperature acclimation. When you fill up the new tank, try to get it to the same temperature that they were previously in and make sure you add your dechlorinator in there. Then, you can put the fish in bags (I like to hold onto the ones they come in but you can probably just use ziplocs) and float them over the 75 gallon as if you just bought them from the store. Give them about 10 minutes and then just release them.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks funkman

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad to help

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would fill the tank and let it warm up before adding the fish and then do the acclimation as stated above, just for temp and then make sure and do a water change every 5 to 7 days for the first few weeks and all should be fine, i did this when i upgraded and had no probs
best of luck

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ditto to kloseo - I did the same with my 10 gallon to 15 gallon and had no problems.

I did a a bit of seachem stability (best i can do in australia as we don't get TSS here) for the first week though, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads