AmQuel and acidic water?

1. vasqua03 Member Member

Has anyone had any experience with AmQuel causing acidic water.

I had been treating my 30 gallon with Amquel while it finished cycling. Tank has been running for at least 8 weeks. I know have 4 tiger barbs in it, reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites about 40ppm nitrates after doing a 15% water change.

I had dosed this tank with AmQuel to protect the barbs against an ammonia and nitrite spike several times without doing a water change, Would this cause acidic water? This is the only thing I can think of and my tap water is typically very alkaline. I did a 40% water change and the parameters came out normal I also moved my bristlenose pleco in there that was taking up home in my ten gallon as he is getting kind of big and rambunctious and very competitive with my oto cats for food.

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It shouldn't affect the pH. Since the tank was cycling and you weren't doing water changes, just dosing Amquel?, the pH can fall. When the tank finishes cycling it should stabilize.

I'd do a larger water change to get the Nitrates below 20ppm.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

pH will bounce from one extreme to the other in a cycling tank. As your tank appears to now be cycled (no measurable ammonia or nitrite), you really should do a 75% water change to get the nitrates down.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I also use Amquel + and it has never caused a drop in my pH levels.

Good tips above to those Nitrates lower via a larger water change.

Ken

5. vasqua03 Member Member

Thanks for the help. I did a 15% before testing acidity yesterday, then did a 40% after so I will do a 25% change today? and retest

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

A hint: after a water change you need to wait 24 hours before you test the pH. Or are you testing it the next day? It has to gas off first. This way you'll get a more accurate reading. Even if it doesn't change, you'll know.

7. vasqua03 Member Member

that's really good to know thanks. I was only waiting a couple of hours to let the filter circulate the water a few times. thanks.

8. MatildaLjungberg Member Member

I have had issues with AmQuel & AmQuel+ both causing ph drop in my tank. There is actually a note about it on the Kordon website regarding this problem. It seems to only be a problem in tanks without a good buffer reserve.

From their website:

"Use caution when adding liquid AmQuel to water that has a poor buffer reserve (as indicated by problems maintaining a stable pH). Using AmQuel in these conditions can cause a sudden lowering of pH."

One of the reasons I switched to Prime.