Amount to feed cories?

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have six very small cories in my quarantine tank now, and am unsure what is the right amount of food to feed them. I have these Ken's Sinking Catfish Sticks, New Life Spectrum H2O Stable Wafers, Angelsplus Vegetable Discs, Hikari Algea Wafers and Hikari Mini Algea Wafers -- these are all the sinking foods that I happen to have at home at this time. The issue is that I am used to feeding my fish approximately as much as they can consume in at most 3 minutes once a day, but that obviously won't work in feeding the cories. They are still very small, so I figure not much food is needed, but there are six of them and I want to make sure I give enough for all six. How do you decide on amount to give to your cories? For example, would 3 of the Ken's catfish sticks be a good amount for six young cories?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have snails so I over feed a little. Still, my Corys have no trouble getting their share. If yours are still a bit shy about eating, they will get more enthusiastic with time.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Actually, I have snails, too. This tank has Ramshorn snails in it, and one or two MTS. So maybe I should increase the amount of food a bit, and see whether it is still gone by morning?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are concerned that they aren't getting enough to eat, then yes I think you should increase how much you feed.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, mostly I am concerned that I do not have a clue as to how much would be appropriate to feed them. I don't know how much is too much or not enough. I guess I continue to still struggle with the fact that they are so different in so many ways from my other fish, and I worry that I do not understand their habits and their needs yet.

This reminds me of my father telling me the story of when I was a newborn, and my mom got an infection at the hospital and thus my dad was responsible for feeding me, and he did not understand that he was supposed to increase the amount of formula he fed me over time, and I guess he did not understand human babies well enough to figure out that I was hungry.

It all worked out in the end, but sometimes it is just not obvious how much to feed little creatures, and I would appreciate a rough guideline of approximate amount to feed if possible.

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are very different, but not different enough that you should be worried about anything.

3aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do they have a favourite food in QT? Some on the forum feeds cories in a cave too small for the other fish to get in. Maybe you could do something like that with that food. I feed my cories sinking foods, but I use flakes to get the other fish to the other side of the tank before putting them in. The other fish still get to the wafers, but the cories eat the broken up bits. I do alot of gravel vacuuming because I'm probably over feeding.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There are no other fish in quarantine with these cories, so for now at least I do not need to worry about food competition yet. The only other creatures in with them at the moment are the aforementioned snails, and no I do not think I can feed the cories in a way inaccessible to the small snails LOL

I have no clue as to favorite food yet, actually the only food I have tried thus far has been Ken's catfish sticks, and they appear to like these. I have had these cories only since Saturday, and thus not enough time has passed yet for me to determine favorite foods etc - for now I am still trying to wrap my mind around these new to me fish.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If not, I guess I can try to experiment over time: increase the amount of food gradually to a point when I see left over food on next day, then start decreasing. I guess an advantage of this being a barebottom tank with no other fish is that hopefully leftover food will be visible - although at this point I do have decorations and plants in there which may obscure it. Plus I do have snails in here so that if I do overfeed I will just get more snails, so maybe not that big of a deal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom