Amount of Fish in my tank

1. C

Crysisfreak7 New Member Member

I have a 5 gallon fish tank, and I want to put 6 tetras, 6 zebra fish 1 catfish (to clean the gravel) and the fish that sucks on the side of the tank. My reason for the tetras and zebra is because they will school, and i will have two schools of fish moving through the tank, and i thought this would be cool, my filter is able to handle 15 gallons of water, but is my tank able to handle all those fish?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

IMO I think a 5 gallon is too small for those fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Unfortunately your tank is too small for all those fish. You may be able to fit one school of small fish like neon tetras in that tank, but definitely not two schools and there wouldn't be room for algae eaters or catfish.

4. OP
    OP
    C

right now, i have a betta, 2 zebras a catfish and a tank sucker, and the last tank they were in (3 gallons) stayed very clean. so since i cant get two schools, instead i guess i will get many small fish that interact well and are clean. what collection of fish would you recommend?

im hoping for a collection of colorful and active fish, that will swim around about as much as zebra fish

5. FiscCyning

Is the betta in the 5 gallon or is he still in the three gallon and you've moved the others over? That will affect fish choices as betta aren't a good community fish with many species.

6. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

The only fish I would consider housing in a 5 gallon tank would be a betta and possibly a snail or shrimp. Although neons are small, they are active and need much more swimming room.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    C

8. FiscCyning

To be honest I really wouldn't recommend schooling fish for that size tank at all. The best stocking for a 5 gallon is a single betta, with no other fish but possibly with a snail or shrimp. You're lucky that your current betta is mellow enough to be with other fish, but most won't tolerate it. If you upgraded to a bigger tank you would have more options, but unfortunately a five gallon tank is quite small and limits the stock you can keep.

Danios are extremely active fish and really need more swimming room than a 5 gallon to be happy. I'm sorry to break it to you but even now your tank is quite overstocked.

9. OP
    OP
    C

but what about smaller more docile fish? something like 3 or 4 smaller (.5-1 inch) fish, and the catfish and tank sucker, not even that much?

10. celizabethh3

Catfish need to be kept in a school of six. A 5 gallon tank is too small for one alone. As for a sucker fish, most grow far too large for even a 20 gallon tank. Your best bets really are a betta or an invert.

11. OP
    OP
    C

seriously? all these fish are quite old, and the tank sucker is about 1 inch long, and the catfish is also 1 inch long and alone, and quite happy, he races through the tank and schools with the zebras sometimes, other times he is just eating and resting.

12. FiscCyning

You could maybe fit a few endlers in there, but still without the catfish and algae eater. Also, any catfish or sucker fish will either get too big for a 5 gallon or need a school and therefore won't fit for that reason. A nerite snail will clean your glass for you if you have an algae problem, and if there is too much waste on the tank bottom then cut back how much you feed and increase water changes with gravel vacuums.

13. celizabethh3

Do you know what kind of sucker fish it is? I am not familiar with any that are only an inch long and I'm afraid his growth may have been stunted. :/

If it were a 10 gallon, you might be able to keep a school of Pygmy corys but definitely not in a 5 gallon.

14. OP
    OP
    C

huh, i would never have thought that fish needed that much space, all these fish i have were always together, and were in a 3 gallon tank for YEARS without incident or a dirty tank. the catfish cleans the gravel, the sucker fish cleans the sides, the betta looks pretty, the zebras are happy schooling, and the filter keeps the water clean, i just moved them to the 5 gallon a few hours ago, and they are even happier.

i do not know what kind of sucker it is, it is just really small, and sucks on the tank siding, maybe it was stunted by the limited living space of the smaller tank (probably sounds stupid)

15. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

When fish are kept in too small of confines, they can become stunted. There's not a sucker fish that I know of below 4 inches. Some are supposed to get much, much larger. Can you take a picture?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. celizabethh3

It doesn't sound stupid at all. I think that's likely what happens in many circumstances due to incorrect advice. At least you came to the right place and you're asking the right questions. :)

But yes, even small fish need a lot of room to live. While a. Clean tank is important, the right tank size is important too.

17. OP
    OP
    C

well i cant take a picture, it is night here, and i couldnt get a clear picture of it if i tried, ill try tommorow. But i have seen a picture of one that was in a 200 gallon tank, and took up most of the front side glass. i guess i am just lucky with my tank, my betta just swims around alot, and actually sleeps in a rock cave all night.

and the catfish is also rather small, but it is happy, i didnt know they need a school of atleast six, but it is quite happy. I heard that a 5 gallon tank can hold 5 1 inch fish, and i heard somewhere else that it is more like 10 fish, but that it also depends on the fish

18. celizabethh3

10 fish would be far too many, let alone five unless they were shrimp or maybe snails. Both corys and danios need a school of 6. Danios are also very active swimmer and most people recommend having them in a tank that isn't any smaller than three feet long. :/

A couple of African Dwarf Frogs *might* work but they would need to be kept in a species only tank. As FiscCyning already suggested, a couple Endlers could work as well but not with the fish you already have.

19. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Even if you went with 1inch of fish per gallon, you're still overstocked. It's really not correct information though. It's more based on the fishy behaviors and needs. You've been really lucky with your betta so far. Some of them won't even tolerate snails, much less other fish in cramped quarters.

If you can get pictures tomorrow, we'll be able to give you more information on needs. Or you can search the fish guide here for a picture similar to what you have.

20. C

CLam Valued Member Member

Really, the inch per gallon rule is really dated. If you want to know how bugged it is, consider that when I was a young noob to fishkeeping, I once considered an Oscar (12 inches) for my 20 gallon. Fortunately, I sought out a second opinion and was swiftly corrected.