Ammonium Hydroxide For Cycling?

drake7

So I found this.. Would it work?

Teishokue

Read the inactive ingredients. it seems like 10% ammonia hydroxide only. thus 90% must be something else.

You might be better with other products from your hardware store.

drake7

Teishokue said:
Read the inactive ingredients. it seems like 10% ammonia hydroxide only. thus 90% must be something else.

You might be better with other products from your hardware store.
I can't seem to find anything else. I asked for pure ammonia, and they said that this is all they have.

badrad

Chemically speaking - Ammonium Hydroxide (NH4OH) is ammonia suspended in water (NH3 and H2O).

From Wiki:

"Ammonia solution, also known as ammonium hydroxide, ammonia water, ammonical liquor, ammonia liquor, aqua ammonia, aqueous ammonia, or simply ammonia, is a solution of ammonia in water. It can be denoted by the symbols NH3(aq). Although the name ammonium hydroxide suggests an alkalI with composition [NH4+][OH−], it is actually impossible to isolate samples of NH4OH, as these ions do not comprise a significant fraction of the total amount of ammonia except in extremely dilute solutions."

Teishokue

I just feed my tank fish food. or you can pee in it.

drake7

Teishokue said:
I just feed my tank fish food. or you can pee in it.
pee in the tank? Never heard of that method before. haha

What type of fish food do you use? pellets or flakes?

Teishokue

I use flakes.

Pee or urea (carbamide) can be broken down into ammonia and co2. Thus you can use this byproduct of life.

drake7

Teishokue said:
I use flakes.

Pee or urea (carbamide) can be broken down into ammonia and co2. Thus you can use this byproduct of life.
but doesn't pee also have bacteria and.. erm.. stuff? And the smell too! Right? Right?

Edmund

Fresh pee, if you're healthy, is relatively sterile last I heard. And wikipedia hasn't told me otherwise, yet. If your pee's stinky from the get-go I'd assume it's probably diet-related rather than bacterial.

It's certainly not pure ammonia, for sure, but I'll tell you from first-hand experience, it'll turn your ammonia liquid tester into dark green ink just the same.

endlercollector

Sterile pee? Nothing that comes out of your body is sterile. Really. And all pee smells. Why do you think puppy owners and moms are so obsessed with potty training?

Which makes me think of when my daughter was in the middle of potty training and we tagged along on a physics conference to Budapest with stops in Frankfurt and Vienna. I brought along a training potty, and it was closely examined at every security check. One group of young men were quite perplexed by it, and the only female in security told them, "Das ist ein Kinderklo."

Edmund

Relatively, haha. Obviously nothing's perfect. I'd think pure ammonia would be better for simplicity's sake, but pee does work. I should look up what's in fish-pee, anyhow! I somehow doubt they extrude pure ammonia too. Yaay, learning for me.

PFF, kinderklo.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom