ammonia

nips147

Reaction score
hi everybody was wondering should i be adding ammonia to the water to get the cycle going the lfs said no and gave me stress coat/zyme to add and said it would be sufficent,that said have read a few fishless cycles on the net and they were all adding ammonia to the water any ideas or am i going mad,am a greenhorn and am anxious im doing it all wrong any help on the matter will be helpful
regards nips147

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a product that is inexpensive and effective IMO and it's called cycle.. I used it on my 10 gallon set up and it appears to have cycled in about a week. I gave it the double dose recommended for start up then a single dose every other day for a total of 5 doses and my cycle is moving along very well.

I am doing a water change and a retest hopefully today and will let you know how it is working to give you an idea. So far it looks very promising.

nips147

Reaction score
Gargoyle said:
There is a product that is inexpensive and effective IMO and it's called cycle.. I used it on my 10 gallon set up and it appears to have cycled in about a week. I gave it the double dose recommended for start up then a single dose every other day for a total of 5 doses and my cycle is moving along very well.

I am doing a water change and a retest hopefully today and will let you know how it is working to give you an idea. So far it looks very promising.
in your opinion was the local shop owner wrong then cause it doesnt instill too much confidence and makes me wonder what condition his fish stocks are in,if adding ammonia to the water is helpful to get the cycle moving should he have known that and told me so

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally do not know about adding ammonia to the tank and what good it will or will not do. I have only used Cycle to do the tank cycling and have had good luck with it. The product he gave you to do the cycle from what I have read is also a good product to get the cycle going.

Personally I would not worry about the ammonia adding right now. I would how ever get a good "master test kit" to monitor your water readings with so you can track the cycles progress.

Plus from his point of view "selling" you a product is better than telling you to go to the hardware store to pick up the pure ammonia and give them the money instead of him... ;D Just a thought...

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
 Hi nips,   If you have NO fish in your tank and want to cycle it,, without fish you have to add ammonia.  The Stress Zyme are the bacteria that will eat the ammonia.  So you can start off that way, OR with say 2 or three very small hardy fish (they will produce the ammonia), and add the stress zyme and soon you will be testing your water every day.   For a couple of weeks it will go up and down.   When ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0 and your nitrates go up , your tank is cycled.  You can start slowly adding fish, testing several days after each addition to make sure you don't overwhelm your growing bacteria colony.  

This is all explained in the beginners section under the nitrogen cycle topic.  There may be more helpful hints there also, have fun exploring!

Fish in the Frozen North.  0 F today.    The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race is having its restart form Willow AK  today.  Check out http://www.KTUU.com for articles, pictures, updates, and videos all week.

nips147

Reaction score
susitna-flower said:
 Hi nips,   If you have NO fish in your tank and want to cycle it,, without fish you have to add ammonia.  The Stress Zyme are the bacteria that will eat the ammonia.  So you can start off that way, OR with say 2 or three very small hardy fish (they will produce the ammonia), and add the stress zyme and soon you will be testing your water every day.   For a couple of weeks it will go up and down.   When ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0 and your nitrates go up , your tank is cycled.  You can start slowly adding fish, testing several days after each addition to make sure you don't overwhelm your growing bacteria colony.  

This is all explained in the beginners section under the nitrogen cycle topic.  There may be more helpful hints there also, have fun exploring!

Fish in the Frozen North.  0 F today.    The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race is having its restart form Willow AK  today.  Check out http://www.KTUU.com for articles, pictures, updates, and videos all week.
so am i doing it wrong and in relation to hardy fish can you recommend any

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As susitna-flower stated, if you have no fish in the tank, then the ammonia is necessary to feed the bacteria and encourage it to multiply. There is only one product available which actually contains the bacteria found in a cycled tank, and it is called bio spira. I'm not sure this would be available to you because you are not in the U.S., and it would probably cost you a lot of money to get it. Other products like stress-zyme and cycle do contain bacteria, but it's not the same strain as what is found in a cycled tank, and these products can accelerate the cycling process, but they don't cycle the tanks on their own. I have not had good luck with either of these products, but many folks say they work for them. If you are cycling fishless, simply adding pure clear ammonia to your tank by the drop until your reading is 5.0, adding ammonia everyday will cycle your tank in around 4 - 6 weeks without the stress zyme or cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom