Ammonia?

1. cyanicwaters

cyanicwaters Initiate Member

Can decaying plants cause a huge ammonia spike? According to my master test kit my 20 gallon is running at 8.0 AMMONIA. And has been for over a week. I've been doing daily/every other day %50 water changes with no change in levels. Nitrites and nitrates are good. So I'm confused. I have three dwarf gouramis in this tank right now and I'm so worried they may die. The only thing I can think that would cause this spike is that I found that my pothos cuttings were rotted. So I took them out. But can decaying plants cause THAT much of a spike?

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

Any decaying organics produce ammonia so maybeee.
    Did you do anything with filter? Wash it? How old is tank and is it cycled? How many fish did you put at once? What substrat you have?

3. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

About three weeks ago I totally switched to a new filter AND did not keep any of the old filter media in it... So I messed up. It was cycled, now I'm not so sure if it still is because the filter change. Just the three gouramis, and regular gravel.

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

So basically it is almost like you just did put new aquarium and you are starting your cycle again. So you don't have any benefitial bacteria in filter.
    So you need to use prime and stability and di water change every two 3 days and monitor your parameters.
    Best solution would be if you get some fused filter media.

So answer is thats ammonia that fish produce = poop

And do 50% wc NOW and use prime, check parameters tomorrow and if they are high do it again

5. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

That's what I was afraid of, I did a %50 water change and gravel vac this morning with prime and a bacteria supplement, I'm gonna get some stability from the store today and use that in it.

6. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

Basically you need to do fish in cycle.
    And don't swap filter media any more and dont wash it in tap water but in aquarium water and for jow don't wash it for month at all

7. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You mentioned that your nitrite and nitrate levels were good. What exactly are you considering good? What are their levels?

8. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

When I last tested it it was 0 ppm for nitrites and 5 ppm for nitrates. I tested again and now it's .50 ppm nitrites and 5.0 ppm nitrates. So I guess my tank is repeating the cycling process since I changed the filter?

9. finnipper59

Yes it is which is why I wanted to know those levels. It just that you got a tremendous ammonia spike that there were not enough Nitrosomas to keep up with...especially with the filter change. I recommend that you do partial water changes daily until the Nitrobacter in the water can colonize in the filter again. I think that prime and some other water conditioners say they also detoxify ammonia...but do NOT use Ammolock. It detoxifies ammonia in such a way that the Nitrosomas can't convert the ammonia.

10. OP
    OP
    cyanicwaters

Alright I'm using prime and I also picked up some stability.

11. finnipper59

Good going. Your Nitrosomas will catch up soon. Our next hope is that the Nitrobacter can grow fast enough to keep up with the extra nitrites. :) fingers crossed.