Ammonia

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Platyfan104, Jul 20, 2015.

1. P

Platyfan104 New Member Member

So I bought a used 30 gallon and filled the cycled water from my 10 and 20 gallons of well water Saturday night and put my platys in..... Sunday at around 5 I put in a whole bottle of TSS. This morning my ammonia is at .25 which has come down very little from yesterday...... How long should I wait before adding 6 neon tetra

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would wait a while before adding neons, they aren't that hardy & are best in a cycled tank so I'd add whatever other stock you're going to after the Tss has done its job & add the neons last.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You should wait at least 14 days after the addition of the SafeStart to start adding additional fish (assuming the SafeStart worked and the tank did indeed cycle).

BTW, water doesn't cycle, so adding water from your old tank only adds nitrate to the new tank. What actually cycles is the filter, since that is where all the bacteria that cycles a tank lives.

4. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

How many platies do you have in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    P

Only 2

6. KarenLM

Platies do have a heavy bio load. Are they male and female?

7. OP
    OP
    P

I assume they are both males do to not finding any fry

8. KarenLM

The female anal fin will be shaped like a triangle and on the male the anal fin is like a spike (called a gonopodium).

I would not add any fish until your tank is completely cycled - ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates above 5.

Then you will add several fish, maybe 6, each week until you are stocked.

Edit: they will eat their own fry.

9. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

What she said. Look in my profile pic...that's a female platy...you can see that black triangle fin below her belly. A male will have a needle/spike shaped fin there.

10. OP
    OP
    P

So back to my original question, should I wait to add neon tetras or could I add something hardier like zebra danios

11. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Danios would be better. Neon tetras need a fully cycled, established tank.

12. KarenLM

I would not add anything until your tank is completely cycled - ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates above 5. Even then I would wait a week or two. Then add a few each week, the hardiest first (not Neons - they should go in last). Zebra danios are hardy.

What is your stocking list?

13. OP
    OP
    P

14. KarenLM

The danios should be the first you add IMO, unless you get more platies - see below..

Also if you find you have a male and female platy, you will want to add another female as the male will exhaust one female to death. M:F ratio should be at least 1:2; more females is even better but watch you stocking level. They will multiply like crazy. You might end up taking the male out and just having the females.

With your stocking list plus 1-2 more platies you would not be over stocked IMO.

So, add platies, danios, cories, gourami and then the neons.

15. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Danios are very hardy and good fish to cycle a tank with if you are doing a fish-in cycle.

16. OP
    OP
    P

I might would just do more neons instead of platys but that might change

17. KarenLM

FYI - I have had very bad luck with neons - bought about 44 over several months and they all died.

I have platies, danios, serpae tetra, peppered cories, Gold barbs, SAE and otos. The barbs, platies (bluewag and redwag) and serpaes add a lot of colour to my tank.

18. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I would highly recommend that you wait at least a month before getting neon tetras. I only have a 50% survival rate with new neons -- although after they survive that initial slaughter they seem to be pretty hardy.

Also, one thing about neons is that while they look very pretty schooling at the fish store, they don't really do that when you get them at home. Once neons are comfortable in your home aquarium, they scatter and rarely swim around the tank in a tank shoal/school. They just sit around chilling. I was very disappointed by this, but now I'm stuck with lots of neons. Just wanted to pass this along in case the schooling behavior is what attracts you to this fish.

19. OP
    OP
    P

Any other good schooling fish to take the place of neons

20. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The name of the game with fishkeeping is patience! It takes 2-3 weeks to properly cycle a tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice