Ammonia Won't Leave!

1. Marguerite Initiate Member

Hi, about a month ago I started losing fish in my 55 gallon. After losing around 10 fish in 2 weeks, I decided to test the water, Ammonia! Concentrated! I have done water changes and still no change. I did add AmmoLock, and found out later this was a mistake. What can I do to make my tank safe again?

2. Skyy2112 Member Member

Waterchanges and Prime.

(50% every other day will be good for a while) or atleast 20-25%

Prime will neutralize your ammonia and make it harmless. Have you tested Nitrites/Nitrates?

Do you dechlorinate your water? Cl can be toxic to fish, and to tour bacteria cycle.

If you added fish too fast you may have 'crashed' your bacteria cycle (assuming the possibility of chlorine hasnt already)

Have you read up on the bacteria system?
    Ammonia -> Nitrites -> Nitrates
    (Plants can use Nitrates as food, but it doesnt mean you dont have to do waterchanges)

If you dont have Nitrites/Trates, dechlor your water if you dont, use either Prime (or another anti Cl conditioner, or let it sit in a bucket in the sun to evaporate your Cl, takes 24 hours)

And add bacteria to your water/filter, TSS Safestart Beneficial Bacteria is popular. These Bacterias are needed in your tank to keep water safe.

3. Marguerite Initiate Member

Thank you. I do believe I may have crashed my tank, adding too many fish at one time. I will try Prime, because nothing else seems to be working. I did add bacteria and nitrates and nitrates are zero. I have done weekly 20 percent water changes.

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you provide your pH and your current ammonia reading? What was your ammonia reading before? If you have zero nitrates, it would seem that your tank is uncycled and may have contributed to the fish deaths.

What kind of bacteria supplement did you add? Could you also list what fish you have?