Ammonia won't go down

PlainWhiteT92

Hi there. I am currently doing a fishless cycle in my 29g. I am using Dr. Tims's ammonia as my source while using stability as my live bacteria. I started the process about 3 weeks ago and have seen spikes in nitrites (over 5ppm) and nitrates (around 80ppm) but my ammonia is still sitting at 2ppm. Dr. Tim's website said to do a water change if nitrite gets over 5ppm so I did 2 50% water changes and got the levels down. I didn't add ammonia right away to see if anything in my tank was creating ammonia but it stayed at .5ppm for 3 days, but the nitrite slowly increased. I am stumped as to why I have yet to see any ammonia drops while nitrites and nitrates are going up. Tested tap water and is read 0 nitrites and nitrates with .25 ammonia. Also used water conditioner for water changes. I did have a bacterial bloom about a week into the process but it cleared up by itself.
Only dosed with ammonia twice - once at the start and once a few days after water changes
pH is 7.4
temp is 80
I have some driftwood, some rocks and a gravel substrate. no live plants

Thanks for any help!

Passionfish

Hi there. I am currently doing a fishless cycle in my 29g. I am using Dr. Tims's ammonia as my source while using stability as my live bacteria. I started the process about 3 weeks ago and have seen spikes in nitrites (over 5ppm) and nitrates (around 80ppm) but my ammonia is still sitting at 2ppm. Dr. Tim's website said to do a water change if nitrite gets over 5ppm so I did 2 50% water changes and got the levels down. I didn't add ammonia right away to see if anything in my tank was creating ammonia but it stayed at .5ppm for 3 days, but the nitrite slowly increased. I am stumped as to why I have yet to see any ammonia drops while nitrites and nitrates are going up. Tested tap water and is read 0 nitrites and nitrates with .25 ammonia. Also used water conditioner for water changes. I did have a bacterial bloom about a week into the process but it cleared up by itself.
Only dosed with ammonia twice - once at the start and once a few days after water changes
pH is 7.4
temp is 80
I have some driftwood, some rocks and a gravel substrate. no live plants

Thanks for any help!
Wait for about 1 more week, I think it will clear up. That's all I can really say. I don't really like adding chemical ammonia, and I just put some slow degrading food inside of the tank for it to cycle itself. That way you don't run into as many problems with using chemical ammonia.

PlainWhiteT92

Wait for about 1 more week, I think it will clear up. That's all I can really say. I don't really like adding chemical ammonia, and I just put some slow degrading food inside of the tank for it to cycle itself. That way you don't run into as many problems with using chemical ammonia.
yeah, I don't think I would use dr. tim's again

Passionfish

yeah, I don't think I would use dr. tim's again
Websites like that are essentially trying to play God with the aquarium cycle. You don't really need to control it, patience is key.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom