Ammonia wont go down at all it keeps climbing

LawSkool

I am treating my fish using tetra lifeguard currently. The ammonia wont go down and wouldn't go down before treatment. It is driving me nuts. I have lost 1 molly and 2 platies. Currently 3 more mollies and 2 platies are sick and stressed out. I have a bubble bar as well as a filter. I added stress coat to help yesterday. I am at a loss of what else to do. How can I get the ammonia down. I feel like I have caused all of the issues in my water by trying to get the ammonia down. When I cycled the tank I used quick start. The employee told me it would allow me to add my fish immediately. My fish got over ick about 2 weeks ago using higher temp and aquarium salt. (I think the illnesses came from the pet store as overnight one platy lost half of her scales and died)

Template answers
I have a 55 gallon and I have 1 pleco, 1 snail, 6 mollies (1 looks pregnant), and 9 guppies in it.
I did a water change two days ago. (I always do between a 25 and 50 percent water change)
I have 3 heaters in it and the temp is at 80 Fahrenheit
I have a filter for a 75 gallon that I use in my 55 gallon
I dont have a schedule for water changes as my ammonia wont go down so I do it every-time it is to high.
I vacuum the gravel during cleanings
I use API and kordon to condition water (Kordon is to help with ammonia because it wont go down)
I test the water with freshwater master kit
Parameters- photo is what I have been using to determine if my water is fine
Ammonia: .50 (Need to do water change but worried I will kill my fish with the treatment and changing of water)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4

Attachments

• 94257676_10157139787012919_3404290142230282240_n.jpg
    94257676_10157139787012919_3404290142230282240_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 48

Lebeeze

The 0 nitrates makes me believe the tank is not cycled. Was it cycled before you put fish in it?

LawSkool

The 0 nitrates makes me believe the tank is not cycled. Was it cycled before you put fish in it?
At that time I was using the dip tests and it said it was

GlennO

What filter exactly? How long has the tank been set up and running. Are you sure you're not over feeding? Does your tap water contain any ammonia? Changing water won't kill your fish, you need to do it to keep ammonia levels down. You could also get some Prime which can help with this process during water changes by detoxifying ammonia. I suggest researching 'fish-in cycling' because that appears to be what you're doing.

Lebeeze

At that time I was using the dip tests and it said it was
My best guess is currently You are doing a fish in cycle. Get seachem prime as your water conditioner and do 50% water changes every 2 days or so until you start seeing nitrates show up.

LawSkool

My best guess is currently You are doing a fish in cycle. Get seachem prime as your water conditioner and do 50% water changes every 2 days or so until you start seeing nitrates show up.
I did a 50% water change. I tested before the change, water out of the faucet, and after the change. These two vials are the tap water and after the change. Left is tap water right is after the change. I have also added some ammonia detoxifier.

What filter exactly? How long has the tank been set up and running. Are you sure you're not over feeding? Does your tap water contain any ammonia? Changing water won't kill your fish, you need to do it to keep ammonia levels down. You could also get some Prime which can help with this process during water changes by detoxifying ammonia. I suggest researching 'fish-in cycling' because that appears to be what you're doing.
I am not sure of the filter. My husband set it up and tossed out the box. The cartridges it takes is top fin PF-L. I have had this tank going for 2 months. I tested the water before the water change the tap water and water after the change. I posted a photo in the reply above. The one on the left is tap water the one on the right is after the change. I also added some ammonia detoxifier after the test to ensure their health.

Attachments

• 15984483451331340853281395180554.jpg
    15984483451331340853281395180554.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 50

Kathylee

I did a 50% water change. I tested before the change, water out of the faucet, and after the change. These two vials are the tap water and after the change. Left is tap water right is after the change. I have also added some ammonia detoxifier.
So it sounds like the people at the Pet store told you it would be okay to use the quick start & pug the fish in immediately. So I have the API quickstart as well, it dechlorinates the water so you can put fish in right away, but what's happening is you are stuck doing a fish in-cycle. I just successfully did this with 3 tanks. A 5 gal 10 gal & my main 20 gal. So your ammonia will keep rising for about a week until Nitrites appear then the ammonia will go down then Nitrites will get super high for me they stayed high for about 2 weeks until I had Nitrates get high. Nitrates are okay the ammonia & Nitrites will stress the fish out & while under that stress their slime coat gets thin & they are susceptible to ICK. With my tank I had to do BIG water changes everyday and keep adding Seachem Prime- it traps the ammonia so it won't hurt your fish but will let your tank cycle. What's happening is a natural nitrogen cycle. It took me 6 weeks to grow a good colony of bacteria (nitrates) it happens slowly & a lot of things can go wrong. Cycling takes some patience, so Think of this as stage 1, your ammonia will keep staying high until stage 2 when Nitrites appear & then stage 3 when nitrates appear. The API quickstart contains Live bacteria that can Aid in helping the cycle process but doesn't happen overnight, sorry for the long reply hope this helps!

StarGirl

What ammonia detoxifyer? Ammo Lock? If you bind the ammonia the Beneficial Bacteria will have nothing to eat and then your cycle may suffer. The pic of the samples is kind of dark is it yellow or greenish yellow?

LawSkool

The API quickstart contains Live bacteria that can Aid in helping the cycle process but doesn't happen overnight, sorry for the long reply hope this helps!

Its fine I am just worried about my fish. My 10 gallon was over populated and that is why I asked about the adding fish as soon as possible to the 55 gallon. Now I am losing fish and 2 mollies are doing really bad after the water change. One is super stressed out. His color is normally a light silver but mainly white but now he is almost all grey and his eyes have went super dark the other one is having symptoms of swim bladder and I feel I am going to lose them.

neverenoughgallons

Test the water that you are putting in it. All the chemicals you are putting in it could be an issue too! Just because it has a marketing gimmick on it doesnt mean it is good for the tank. The pet store was wrong. You can not put them in right away especially a larger tank. How many fish did you add at once?

LawSkool

Test the water that you are putting in it. All the chemicals you are putting in it could be an issue too! Just because it has a marketing gimmick on it doesnt mean it is good for the tank.

How is adding two things to my tank water bad?

fishnovice33

And this mess is why I don’t like the fish in cycle that mostly just kills fish and complicates the entire bacteria building process, unless you’re at the top of your game giving your tank more attention then most of us can.

I’d highly suggest researching the internet and ignoring the pet store guy. At this point all you can really do is add prime and do watcher changes...a lot of water changes. And wait for your tank to actually cycle.

86 ssinit

What your doing is a fish in cycle. Change water daily to keep ammonia and nitrites down. This will take a week or 2. How many fish in your tank and what types. How often were you doing water changes before the ammonia jump. It looks like your tap water has ammonia. Or your test kit is giving false readings
As to your filter your lookin* for something that has about 350gph turn over. Or 7-10times the amount of water in the tank.

LawSkool

What your doing is a fish in cycle. Change water daily to keep ammonia and nitrites down. This will take a week or 2. How many fish in your tank and what types. How often were you doing water changes before the ammonia jump. It looks like your tap water has ammonia. Or your test kit is giving false readings
As to your filter your lookin* for something that has about 350gph turn over. Or 7-10times the amount of water in the tank.

I have a 55 gallon and I have 1 pleco, 1 snail, 6 mollies (1 looks pregnant), and 9 guppies in it.
I was doing water changes about every other to every 3 days at 25% and then boom it spiked. The bottle of ammonia detoxifier said not to use a kit based on nessler reagents and I dont know if my test kit does.

86 ssinit

You don’t have many fish but still a lot for a fish in cycle. So just keep changing the water. I would stop all the additives. For the bacteria to grow it needs ammonia. You just don’t want it getting to high (over 1). Just add the prime for chlorine in the tap water.

LawSkool

You don’t have many fish but still a lot for a fish in cycle. So just keep changing the water. I would stop all the additives. For the bacteria to grow it needs ammonia. You just don’t want it getting to high (over 1). Just add the prime for chlorine in the tap water.
I spoke to my husband and he agreed to get me the prime brand.

mattgirl

You have gotten some good advice so far. I am happy you will be getting some Prime. It is first and foremost a water conditioner designed to remove chlorine/chloramines and heavy metals much like all other water conditioners. The reason we recommend it is because it detoxes low levels of ammonia. The ammonia will still register in your test tube but it will be in a safer form.

The first thing I would do is turn the heat down. 80 is too high for the fish you have in this tank. I would try to shoot for about 76. That should be a good number for the fish you have.

Sadly you aren't the first nor will you be the last to be deceived into believing bottled bacteria will instantly make your tank safe for fish.

If I am seeing correctly your ammonia reading is only .25 Ammonia that low isn't going to cause what you are experiencing. It will probably take about 6 weeks for this tank to be fully cycled. Normally nitrites show up around the 3 week mark. You want to try to keep them down but you may experience a high spike in them. When that happens you will probably have the do a water change every day until they drop to zero.

Keep in mind, the bacteria we are growing doesn't live in the water so doing water changes isn't going to harm the cycling process. Just be sure to temp match and add enough prime to treat the full 55 gallons. Once the cycle is complete you will just be adding enough to treat the amount of water you are replacing if using buckets. If using a python type refill system you will continue adding enough to treat the full 55 gallons.

This is a little thing I wrote that might be helpful in your situation.

LawSkool

The first thing I would do is turn the heat down. 80 is too high for the fish you have in this tank. I would try to shoot for about 76. That should be a good number for the fish you have.

Sadly you aren't the first nor will you be the last to be deceived into believing bottled bacteria will instantly make your tank safe for fish.

If I am seeing correctly your ammonia reading is only .25 Ammonia that low isn't going to cause what you are experiencing. It will probably take about 6 weeks for this tank to be fully cycled. Normally nitrites show up around the 3 week mark. You want to try to keep them down but you may experience a high spike in them. When that happens you will probably have the do a water change every day until they drop to zero.

I have already started the heat being turned down. Now feeling like poop for all of this (no one on the forum) I am pretty sure at least 2 mollies won't make it because of the water change.

mattgirl

I have already started the heat being turned down. Now feeling like poop for all of this (no one on the forum) I am pretty sure at least 2 mollies won't make it because of the water change.
Please don't beat yourself up over this. Most of us were in your shoes at one point. We make mistakes or we follow bad advice from those we should be able to trust and we end up in this situation. Now you have come to us and we will do our best to help you and your fish. Unlike a fish store we won't be trying to sell you something to fix a problem. We will just to the best of our ability try to help you and your fish.

If you both temp matched and added your water conditioner I can't see doing a water change doing anything to harm your fish. Fresh clean water is the very best thing you can give your fish.

If you've not done so already, run all the tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH) on your source water and write those number down and post them here. It is always a good idea to get a base reading on the water we are doing our water changes with.

LawSkool

Please don't beat yourself up over this. Most of us were in your shoes at one point. We make mistakes or we follow bad advice from those we should be able to trust and we end up in this situation. Now you have come to us and we will do our best to help you and your fish. Unlike a fish store we won't be trying to sell you something to fix a problem. We will just to the best of our ability try to help you and your fish.

If you both temp matched and added your water conditioner I can't see doing a water change doing anything to harm your fish. Fresh clean water is the very best thing you can give your fish.

If you've not done so already, run all the tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH) on your source water and write those number down and post them here. It is always a good idea to get a base reading on the water we are doing our water changes with.

I have done all that and I have done tests but now my white fish is almost all grey and his eyes are super dark. I have the lights on the tank off to help them rest. Here are photos of my tests. The one you cant see the name of is my pH

Attachments

• 118254564_2572699996311519_3065648577172025935_n.jpg
    118254564_2572699996311519_3065648577172025935_n.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 118220981_1394827634046292_1297498716530144280_n.jpg
    118220981_1394827634046292_1297498716530144280_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 118205387_726456144580428_3440018202477504959_n.jpg
    118205387_726456144580428_3440018202477504959_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35
  • 118288945_643062692988015_4374851364445858585_n.jpg
    118288945_643062692988015_4374851364445858585_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 118342507_350567502786127_7272332418563707003_n.jpg
    118342507_350567502786127_7272332418563707003_n.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 37

mattgirl

I have done all that and I have done tests but now my white fish is almost all grey and his eyes are super dark. I have the lights on the tank off to help them rest. Here are photos of my tests. The one you cant see the name of is my pH
Are these you tank water or tap water? If tank the numbers don't ring any alarm bells.

I am sorry you and your fish are struggling. While doing a fish in cycle the most important thing is keeping the ammonia and nitrites (when they spike) down as low as possible by testing and doing water changes as necessary. It is very possible your fish were not that healthy when you got them. I do think the warmer temps may be adding to what you are seeing so it is good that you are getting it down.

I will point out that some folks have had success by using Tetra Safe Start plus, It is bacteria in a bottle. This one is supposed to have the same bacteria we are growing in our tanks. The one reason I don't normally recommend using it is because you are supposed to pour it in and then do nothing but top off evaporated water for 2 weeks. Personally I would never be able to do that but it might be something you will want to consider.

LawSkool

Are these you tank water or tap water? If tank the numbers don't ring any alarm bells.

I am sorry you and your fish are struggling. While doing a fish in cycle the most important thing is keeping the ammonia and nitrites (when they spike) down as low as possible by testing and doing water changes as necessary. It is very possible your fish were not that healthy when you got them. I do think the warmer, temps may be adding to what you are seeing so it is good that you are getting it down.

Those last photos are of my tank water. I did a 50% water change this morning when the ammonia spike to 1. However a friend of mine told me not to do water changes because I will kill all of my fish. So I feel like I am flying in the dark. I dont think they were healthy when I got them because shortly after my tank popped up with ick and I got that taken care of and now this. One fish I had lost all of its scales on its back end overnight the first night I had it.

mattgirl

Those last photos are of my tank water. I did a 50% water change this morning when the ammonia spike to 1. However a friend of mine told me not to do water changes because I will kill all of my fish. So I feel like I am flying in the dark. I dont think they were healthy when I got them because shortly after my tank popped up with ick and I got that taken care of and now this. One fish I had lost all of its scales on its back end overnight the first night I had it.
I have to disagree with your friend. As long as you temp match and dechlorinate the water before pouring it in there fresh clean water will not kill your fish. I change out at least 50% of the water in all my tanks every week as do many other folks here on the forum. I change out 40/60% of the water in my pleco grow out tank every day.

The only time I can see a water change kill fish is if someones goes years without doing a water change and then changes out most of the water all at once. The fresh clean water replacing the water the fish have very gradually gotten used to could cause problems. As long as water changes are done on a regular basis a water change can only help.

LawSkool

I have to disagree with your friend. As long as you temp match and dechlorinate the water before pouring it in there fresh clean water will not kill your fish. I change out at least 50% of the water in all my tanks every week as do many other folks here on the forum. I change out 40/60% of the water in my pleco grow out tank every day.
The only time I can see a water change kill fish is if someones goes years without doing a water change and then changes out most of the water all at once. The fresh clean water replacing the water the fish have very gradually gotten used to could cause problems. As long as water changes are done on a regular basis a water change can only help.

She got really mad and I still don't understand why. The ammonia was at 1 and I believe it burned my fish a bit so I did a 50%. I feel like I am lost in this whole process and I love these fish.

mattgirl

She got really mad and I still don't understand why. The ammonia was at 1 and I believe it burned my fish a bit so I did a 50%. I feel like I am lost in this whole process and I love these fish.
I know I am just words on a screen from a perfect stranger but I assure you you did the right thing. You want to keep the ammonia level down as low as possible by doing water changes.

LawSkool

I know I am just words on a screen from a perfect stranger but I assure you you did the right thing. You want to keep the ammonia level down as low as possible by doing water changes.

Maybe so but I am new to keeping fish. I kept some when I was little but back then my mom got a small fish bowl and would just dump my fish it the water and call it good. So I am learning proper care for my fish. My friend has had fish for maybe a year. I just couldnt let them swim or float in that water it was stinky too.

mattgirl

Did you check out the link I posted? It basically goes step by step as to doing a fish in cycle. Getting a tank cycled is important but the health of fish is the most important part of it.

LawSkool

Did you check out the link I posted? It basically goes step by step as to doing a fish in cycle. Getting a tank cycled is important but the health of fish is the most important part of it.

Yeah, at first I didn't realize it was a link. Sorry.

mattgirl

Yeah, at first I didn't realize it was a link. Sorry.
Hopefully it will help you understand what needs to be done to keep the fish safe while the tank cycles.

LawSkool

Hopefully it will help you understand what needs to be done to keep the fish safe while the tank cycles.

I may be wrong but what I have read I just need to test everyday and do water changes as the ammonia goes up to .50

86 ssinit

Everything mattgirl says is spot on correct. Water changes are needed! Why some people don’t beleive in water changing is because they don’t do it. Fish will live in very bad water. Just their life is shorter. So when these people who don’t change water realize they have a problem and do a big water change they end up killing there fish. Reason is their fish had adjusted to the bad water and the massive water change was just to different to them. The correct way to do fix that problem is many smaller water changes. Letting the fish adjust to the clean water at a slower pace.

LawSkool

Is that why
Everything mattgirl says is spot on correct. Water changes are needed! Why some people don’t beleive in water changing is because they don’t do it. Fish will live in very bad water. Just their life is shorter. So when these people who don’t change water realize they have a problem and do a big water change they end up killing there fish. Reason is their fish had adjusted to the bad water and the massive water change was just to different to them. The correct way to do fix that problem is many smaller water changes. Letting the fish adjust to the clean water at a slower pace.

Is that why her fish die during tank cleanings? She got very mad telling me all kinds of things but after I did the 50% change all of my guppies, and a few mollies are swimming around even a platy is out and about.

86 ssinit

I keep discus and I change 50% 3-5x a week. No problem with fish or plants and there is a thriving colony of cherry shrimp in the tank. Clean water is allways best.

LawSkool

I keep discus and I change 50% 3-5x a week. No problem with fish or plants and there is a thriving colony of cherry shrimp in the tank. Clean water is allways best.

Discus are beautiful. Thank you and Mattgirl for helping so much.

StarGirl

I think 86 ssinit nailed it with what your friends issue is. When water is not changed the Nitrates skyrocket. The fish adapt to this. Then you change a bunch of water all of a sudden the water is extremely different and the fish go into shock. This is why weekly water changes keep all of this from happening. Plus it replenishes the minerals your fish need.

mattgirl

I may be wrong but what I have read I just need to test everyday and do water changes as the ammonia goes up to .50
Right. The water changes are going to keep the levels down to safer levels but there will still be enough ammonia in there to feed and grow the bacteria. Cycling a tank is simply growing bacteria that will keep the ammonia levels down to zero once the cycle is complete.
Discus are beautiful. Thank you and Mattgirl for helping so much.
You are so very welcome. Please keep us updated and if you have more questions we will try to answer them.

LawSkool

You are so very welcome. Please keep us updated and if you have more questions we will try to answer them.

I did notice that Ripper (my white fish that is under a lot of stress) is no longer at the top he is still having issues with swim bladder but I dont want to take him out as it may stress him even more. All of my fish that were hanging out at the top are back to somewhat normal.

Frank the Fish guy

You have a great pH to do a fish-in cycle. Since your pH is 7.4, your fish will be fine with ammonia levels up to about 1.0 on your test. They are actually going to be OK!

Here is a handy table that shows why we measure pH. The pH level tells us when ammonia is toxic to fish.

So like Mattgirl says, keep an eye on ammonia, and use water changes to dillute it down to 1.0 as the tank cycles.

The worst thing is chlorine! Many of us put water in 5 gallon buckets and aerate it for 24 hours. That makes the water fish ready naturally and matches the temperature too, without the need to add chemicals. It also adds a lot of oxygen which is very good for the fish.

But it will feel like being a nurse in the ER for a few weeks!

And you thought aquariums was a relaxing hobby! It will be soon.

PEace

ElysiumPlants

Mattgirl’s right on all counts, but especially on this: don’t beat yourself up.

I’m a horticulturist by trade. I grow plants for a living. I get customers all the time who say things like, “I kill all my plants,” or “I have a black thumb.” I always tell them the same thing.

“I’ve been growing plants for more than a third of a century, and I still probably kill more plants in a week than you’ll grow in your entire life. But you know what? I’m LEARNING from it, and I’m having fun.”

Plants and aquaria have a lot in common. There’s a lot of technical stuff to learn, but the most important lesson they can teach us is to be patient, especially with ourselves.

Chin up. You’ll figure it out.

neverenoughgallons

And this mess is why I don’t like the fish in cycle that mostly just kills fish and complicates the entire bacteria building process, unless you’re at the top of your game giving your tank more attention then most of us can.

I’d highly suggest researching the internet and ignoring the pet store guy. At this point all you can really do is add prime and do watcher changes...a lot of water changes. And wait for your tank to actually cycle.
if you find the right store guy then yea. but online advice on this forum is really good.

LawSkool

Mattgirl’s right on all counts, but especially on this: don’t beat yourself up.

I’m a horticulturist by trade. I grow plants for a living. I get customers all the time who say things like, “I kill all my plants,” or “I have a black thumb.” I always tell them the same thing.

“I’ve been growing plants for more than a third of a century, and I still probably kill more plants in a week than you’ll grow in your entire life. But you know what? I’m LEARNING from it, and I’m having fun.”

Plants and aquaria have a lot in common. There’s a lot of technical stuff to learn, but the most important lesson they can teach us is to be patient, especially with ourselves.

Chin up. You’ll figure it out.

Thank you. I has been hard I am just glad I found people that know what they are talking about.

ElysiumPlants

I’m not trying to imply that I’m an expert by any means, but I’ve been keeping fish for something like 25 years now, and it’s my opinion that the advice you’ve been given here about keeping up with your water changes is not only solid, but crucially important. As far as your friend getting mad, well...I don’t mean to be overcritical of her, but that seems like kind of a silly thing to get mad about.

LawSkool

Well Sammy (my snail) died today. I don't know why. He was moving and everything less then an hour ago.

mattgirl

Well Sammy (my snail) died today. I don't know why. He was moving and everything less then an hour ago.
Are you sure the little guy is dead? Some snails can stay closed up for so long we begin to get concerned and before long they are out and about again.

LawSkool

Are you sure the little guy is dead? Some snails can stay closed up for so long we begin to get concerned and before long they are out and about again.

He was on his side on the gravel. I'm not 100 percent sure so I pulled him out and put him in his own area with tank water to keep an eye on him

Never mind he was playing dead for some reason. His full name is Sammy the Bull maybe I should change it to Sammy the Faker.

mattgirl

Sometimes they will do that for hours at a time so little Sammy will probably do that from time to time.

ElysiumPlants

mattgirl: I still haven’t reached the minimum number of posts to be able to PM someone (it’s 50, IIRC), so I’m going to say this publicly instead. In a way, maybe it’s better that other people see it anyway.

I started a thread earlier about how the people on this forum seem to bend over backwards to help new folks out. Just wanted to say that, while several names come to mind, you’re a prime example of what I was talking about. Your advice is always on point, and your positive, encouraging attitude is a credit to aquarists everywhere. I have yet to disagree with anything you’ve said, and should that time come, I can tell that it’ll be a reasonable discussion of ideas with a solution to the problem being the goal, rather than a clash of egos.

Rock on with your bada$$ self.

mattgirl

mattgirl: I still haven’t reached the minimum number of posts to be able to PM someone (it’s 50, IIRC), so I’m going to say this publicly instead. In a way, maybe it’s better that other people see it anyway.

I started a thread earlier about how the people on this forum seem to bend over backwards to help new folks out. Just wanted to say that, while several names come to mind, you’re a prime example of what I was talking about. Your advice is always on point, and your positive, encouraging attitude is a credit to aquarists everywhere. I have yet to disagree with anything you’ve said, and should that time come, I can tell that it’ll be a reasonable discussion of ideas with a solution to the problem being the goal, rather than a clash of egos.

Rock on with your bada$$ self.
Thank you for your kind words.

LawSkool

Sometimes they will do that for hours at a time so little Sammy will probably do that from time to time.

I didn't know that and it scared me half to death. I am glad he is ok though. Thank you so much. I am learning so much already.

GlennO

I didn't know that and it scared me half to death. I am glad he is ok though. Thank you so much. I am learning so much already.

They can sometimes be inactive for days at a time. Snails have odd sleeping habits.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom