Ammonia won't drop below.25ppm.. odd situation.

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello fish lore friends!
I am having an odd cycling process. I currently have a 20 gal guppy tank and recently started a new 15 gal tank for some endlers. I ran a filter I bought for a month on my current cycled tank, then once I got my 15 set up I moved the filter over. I added some dr.tims ammonia and TSS and tested the next day, nothing, then another day 1ppm ammonia, .50 nitrites, 5 nitrates. Okay so the filter is doing its job with the bb from the other tank. I keep adding ammonia (staying around 2ppm) and testing every day. Nitrates are always present and Nitrites went up and then back to zero. Now heres where it gets weird! My ammonia won't drop below .25ppm. (side note: I have well water and have tested the water from the sink after 24hr and no ammonia) So what should I do? Keep adding ammonia and pray it goes away someday or just wait for this .25 to go to zero then add more to see if it can process it all?
This is all through fish less cycle, I am just antsy to get my new endlers
Thanks!!

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There could be ammonium in the water... Otherwise it could the notorious problem with Ammonia test were 0 will show 0.25. Although, if you are seeing a 0 from your tap, then idk. lol

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
zero from my tap and zero from my already cycled 20 gal. Thats why its an odd situation haha. I tested the 15 and got .25 so really light green then tested my 20 and got 0 and was really yellow.

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It had been like 2 weeks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did have a power outage but only for an hour or so and I don't know if that would be enough to kill my bb. I have a top fin 5-20 gal filter, which I actually hate it is just not build well. I am not sure if the filter being top fin would have anything to do with it. I am going to buy a fluval aqua clear but I don't have money for it yet so I thought I could cycle the tank with my filter lol.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jdhef recently went through a 28 hour power outage during a storm and says his bacteria survived. How big is your tank that you are using the top fin filter on? I have heard so many people having problems with top fin filters, including BornThisWayBettas. She is also considering upgrading her filter to something better.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While Dom90 is correct about the bacteria in my 46 gallon surviving 28 hours, what I didn't post was that the ceramic media in my AquaClear on my 25 gallon dried out and the bacteria that remaimed in the Aqueon filter wan't quite enough to handle the enire bioload of my goldfish, so I had elevated ammonia in that tank.

But so long as your filter media didn't dry out, one hour should be no problem.

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its a 15 gallon tank. If I get a new filter I want it to be a quality filter but I gotta save up for it. Do you think the bacteria is having a hard time growing in the top fin filter? Also after my 1 hour power outage I ran out and bought a bunch of battery operated air pumps and air pump operated filters haha !

RRBWG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update: Tested today and got zero ammonia, dosed 2ppm and hope for a zero tomorrow.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm just hearing more and more bad things about top fin filters. If you get 0 ammo tomorrow, and you have 0 nitrites you should be cycled.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom