Ammonia Vs Nitrate Issues

1. Crash4hope

Crash4hope New Member Member

All right so I was a bad fish keeper and I delayed my water changes until longer than normal til today, then on my way home from work I saw our city bleeding the water lines which always puts ammonia into my tap water. So currently my tapwater has .25 ppm of ammonia in it. I have multiple tanks that needed clean today first being a #1 a 20gal reading 0 ammonia, 6.8 ph, and 40 ppm nitrate, nitrite is 0 ppm.

#2 The next tank is a 10 gallon full of fry reading 0 ammonia, 6.6 ph, 0 nitrites, probably 80 ppm.

#3 The last tank is a 10 gallon with maybe .15 - .25 ppm ammonia (it’s closer to yellow than the tap but it’s not the nice clean yellow), 7.0 ph, 0 nitrites, and 10-20 ppm nitrate.

So the tap ph is about 7.4 - 7.6 and tap ammonia is .25 ppm (currently, has been worse in the past.) So should I use the tap water to do my water changes? I could buy some distilled or spring water at the store or wait.. waiting makes me nervous. It could take up to a week for the water to get back to the 0 ammonia. I do have prime but it only detoxifies the ammonia for 24 hours,.. could I add it daily after a large water change without daily water changes? I did set up a tub with a filter full of zeolite to attempt to preremove to ammonia but I don’t know how long or how well that will work.

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Think of it this way if your doing say a 25% water change your only adding 25% of .25 so its perfectly safe to use. Your cycle will quickly proccess it.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

How large a water change do you usually do? My tanks usually manage to process tap ammonia (has varied from 0 to 4.0 at worst) until it hits about 1.0... then it takes my tanks longer to manage the ammonia, but I do 50% water changes. If you did 25% water changes I bet your tank would barely have a blip.

5. OP
    OP
    Crash4hope

Crash4hope New Member Member

The 20 gal I normally clean 25-50% depending on the nitrates. The fry 10 gal I normally do 50% - 80%. (Some of them need to go but I’ve been waiting until they’re able to be sexed so I don’t end up with all males.) The other 10 gal is normally 50%. Between having guests, Father’s Day, and work my cleaning schedule is messed up.
    I did clean the 20 gal (35%) and the fry 10 gal (66%.) I used part distilled water and the water that was running through the zeolite. The water that was running through the zeolite was showing 0 ammonia but I only had 6 gallons of it done. I have another 6 gallons running for tomorrow. So I’ll recheck the tanks, tap, and reevaluate tomorrow. Thanks:)