Ammonia tx question

TeachMeChemystery

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve got a new freshwater 40 gallon with some of the old rocks/decor and 2 fish from previous tank. I added a few newbies, including a mystery snail and I didn’t cycle it first. I know, I know. So now that the water is not ideal-it’s been a week since start up- I’m working on getting rid of ammonia (not off the charts but present and rising without intervention) and increase both alkalinity (currently less than 25 ppm ish) and ph (currently around 6.5). I’m doing partial water changes daily, I am not having any luck at local stores finding suitable alkalinity additive. So my main question for anyone still with me is this: I have a bottle of Fluval Sea Alkalinity that I located in the saltwater section the store, can I use it in my tank? It doesn’t say anything on bottle about freshwater either way. I’m mostly concerned for the snail. I added Seachem Stability and Prime. I’m want to learn more about using coral, etc. but wanted to address this ASAP to avoid being the dingbat that lost fish because she was impatient. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
TeachMeChemystery said:
Hi! I’ve got a new freshwater 40 gallon with some of the old rocks/decor and 2 fish from previous tank. I added a few newbies, including a mystery snail and I didn’t cycle it first. I know, I know. So now that the water is not ideal-it’s been a week since start up- I’m working on getting rid of ammonia (not off the charts but present and rising without intervention) and increase both alkalinity (currently less than 25 ppm ish) and ph (currently around 6.5). I’m doing partial water changes daily, I am not having any luck at local stores finding suitable alkalinity additive. So my main question for anyone still with me is this: I have a bottle of Fluval Sea Alkalinity that I located in the saltwater section the store, can I use it in my tank? It doesn’t say anything on bottle about freshwater either way. I’m mostly concerned for the snail. I added Seachem Stability and Prime. I’m want to learn more about using coral, etc. but wanted to address this ASAP to avoid being the dingbat that lost fish because she was impatient. Thanks for any input!
First off welcome.

Your saying alkalinity is 25ppm? Are you referring to GH? If so that is low.

Confused about what you are saying your water perameters are and what you are trying to achieve.

Ph doesn't tell much about cycle unless you see swing from the norm. more about the stock you can keep.

What Is your
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?

And if you wanted to get technical
What is your
Kh?
Gh?

OP
TeachMeChemystery

TeachMeChemystery

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
First off welcome.

Your saying alkalinity is 25ppm? Are you referring to GH? If so that is low.

Confused about what you are saying your water perameters are and what you are trying to achieve.

Ph doesn't tell much about cycle unless you see swing from the norm. more about the stock you can keep.

What Is your
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?

And if you wanted to get technical
What is your
Kh?
Gh?
Hi, thanks for the response, I’ll try to be more clear. Water:

Ammonia: 1( highest it’s been- I added Seachem prime which is supposed to bind it but not reflect in test from what I read?) It’s been lower all week since starting the tank until today. I’m doing daily water changes.

Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: .5 (Both these were pretty well 0 until today)

GH: 75
KH: 20 (!) gets low every water change then rises very slightly
PH: 6.5
So, ammonia is my most pressing issue at the moment, but also I want to know if I can add an alkalinity booster designed for saltwater, particularly for my stock including snail. The water temp is a bit high at 82 F, no heater, just been hot weather, I’m sure that’s not helping. I’d so appreciate any insight.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
TeachMeChemystery said:
Hi, thanks for the response, I’ll try to be more clear. Water:

Ammonia: 1( highest it’s been- I added Seachem prime which is supposed to bind it but not reflect in test from what I read?) It’s been lower all week since starting the tank until today. I’m doing daily water changes.

Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: .5 (Both these were pretty well 0 until today)

GH: 75
KH: 20 (!) gets low every water change then rises very slightly
PH: 6.5
So, ammonia is my most pressing issue at the moment, but also I want to know if I can add an alkalinity booster designed for saltwater, particularly for my stock including snail. The water temp is a bit high at 82 F, no heater, just been hot weather, I’m sure that’s not helping. I’d so appreciate any insight.
As far as ammonia do large water changes and with prime you can go up to 5x dose for ammonia or nitrite spike. I have successfully.

Speaking of boosting gh and kh I'm the wrong guy to ask I have the other problem my tap is.
8.1ph
220ppm gh
125ppm kh.

Lol hard hard water.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the pH of your source water? Quite often folks have a normal pH from the tap but it quickly drops when put in their tank. Crushed coral will stabilize your pH up to the level of your source water. I would go the crushed coral route instead of the Fluval Sea Alkalinity. Put the CC in a media bag and then in your filter. It won't immediately raise your pH but will over a few days. It will continuously hold your pH up to where it needs to be. Eventually you may need to add more but it is mostly add it and forget it because it dissolves so slowly.

New Threads