Ammonia Too High!

1. Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13 Well Known Member Member

I finished cycling my tank Sunday, and did my water change, ammonia next day was at 0. I topped off the tank yesterday and today ammonia is at 0.5. what do I do?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Well Known Member Member

By topped off you mean a water change?
    Check your tap water to see if the tap already contains ammonia

3. F

Fish'n'Tips New Member Member

dose prime which will protect your fish (below 1.0 ppm for 24 hours) then retest. If you have a cycled tank it should be back at 0 within 24 hours. My ammonia parameters are always slightly elevated after a water change, but it's never a problem as my bio-filter catches up within the timeframe I am protected with prime.

4. OP
    OP
    Philippians 4:13

I added about 3 inches of water the day after the WC, and yes the tap does have ammonia.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

How high is the ammonia in the tap?

6. OP
    OP

Thanks @FishnTips! I forgot it hasn't even been 24 hours since the water topping off!

I thought it was at 3.0 ppm, but everyone said that was illegal. Will have to test again.....

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I'd test the tap.

8. OP
    OP

My ammonia is now between .5 and 1. What do I do if I font have Prime? I don't want to get it if I can.

9. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

What are all of the other readings? That determines the best long term action.

As for right now, I would do a 50 percent water change (Using water conditioner) and test all of your parameters.

10. p

pckofwolfs New Member Member

What I have been told to get rid of ammonia fast is to do a largish water change no more than 45% of the water. I could be wrong. I also know plants help keep ammonia down also

11. OP
    OP

My other readings are:

Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 10-15
    Ammonia: .5-1.0
    Ph: 7.2

I will test my tap water, but I think it has ammonia in it. Does anyone know if well water has ammonia in it, or will it depend on everyone's different water?

12. LiterallyHydro

Everyone's well water is different. I don't trust using well water because there's a high chance of there being other toxic compounds, heavy metals and other nasties you don't want in the tank. I have lost fish just using well water to do a 20% water change. If you have access to city water, I would instead use that with a water conditioner.

Check for any uneaten fish food or dead fish. Did you add any new fish recently?

13. OP
    OP

My water out of the tap is at .5 of ammonia. Is that okay for a WC? And do I do %50?

Some fish food, no dead fish. I only have three and have not added any. Are light red streaks on the skin ammonia poisoning?

14. LiterallyHydro

If the tap water that has detectable ammonia is city water, that would mean your municipality treats your water with chloramines. In that situation, I would do the water change as I mentioned earlier (50%), with a double dose of prime. Then wait 24 hours to test your water again to see what it reads. Your biological filtration capacity should be able to process the ammonia before it becomes toxic to fish (Prime will neutralize it for up to a day)

Also make sure to remove the uneaten fish food, that is definitely contributing to you having ammonia issues.

15. OP
    OP

16. LiterallyHydro

I do not believe Aquasafe neutralizes ammonia, but I could be wrong entirely on that. Prime has worked so well for me throughout the years that I never gave any others a shot.

17. OP
    OP

It doesn't neutralize ammonia, but I don't have anything else right now. I will get prime for the future.

18. LiterallyHydro

If the ammonia in your tank is 1, and in the water is 0.5, do the water change anyway then. It would still technically lower the ammonia a bit.

19. OP
    OP

Done with the waster change........ when it has been 24 hours, I will test and update you. BTW, my danios have very light red streaks on them, is this bad?

Also, with Prime, would I want to add a double dose every time if my water has ammonia, or not?

My zebra danios have very light red streaks running down their sides. Is this a problem? They seem to be swimming fine and eating okay. I have 3 of them in a 29 gallon currently. I am getting more this weekend. I did a 50% W/C today because my ammonia went just above 0.5 when it is usually at 0. Waiting 24 hours(tomorrow evening) to see what the ammonia is at. I have 0.5 ppm of ammonia out of my tap water.

20. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I recommend purchasing Prime by Seachem. Prime detoxifies ammonia nitrite and nitrate at 1ppm for 24hours. Does daily until ur beneficial bacteria catch up.

EDIT - perform water changes also