Ammonia Test.. White?

ObsolisPrime

Okay. So I just set up my 34 tank/10 gallon sump about a week ago. It has close to 40 lbs live sand and 40 lbs of LIFE rock.

When I started doing my Tests obviously ammonia, nitrate and nitrite were all at zero. Very crystal clear readings. My ph is about 8.2. I'm using API test kits btw.

Recently got my refractometer in, tested the water, apparently my salinity was at a 1.005, had a hydrometer previously so I've been adding saltwater periodically. Got it up to about 1.020.

My ammonia test is weird. It's a milky color rather than the bright yellow color. Nitrate and nitrite were still normal color. Can this be from all the salt? I read on a thread that if you used live sand and live rock you don't need to cycle, pretty sure that's inaccurate right? Anyone have anything?

Tanks and Plants

do you have the API saltwater master test kit? Or could it be expired? I am not familiar with saltwater but those are my only things I could think about.
I know API makes a Freshwater and saltwater master test kit

ObsolisPrime

It's API, test kit is not expired. I used the drops correctly, and the other chemicals are good.

Tanks and Plants

It's API, test kit is not expired. I used the drops correctly, and the other chemicals are good.

Sorry I wish I could help you maybe someone can chime in?

ObsolisPrime

Just a note for those with a similar problem. I contacted API, and since there was so much salt in the water, it was binding to the chemicals used in the ammonia test. This kept the test results white.

Nart

ObsolisPrime typically when I test with my API for ammonia, its milky at first. I shake it pretty hard to get the yellow color, but it's a milky yellow if that makes sense. Or if there's ammonia, it'll be milky green. It's not like freshwater where the tests come out clear yellow, or clear green.

ObsolisPrime

ObsolisPrime typically when I test with my API for ammonia, its milky at first. I shake it pretty hard to get the yellow color, but it's a milky yellow if that makes sense. Or if there's ammonia, it'll be milky green. It's not like freshwater where the tests come out clear yellow, or clear green.

Mine were coming out white and STAYING white. There was no yellow.

Nart

Wait - so the resolution that API told you is that your salinity level was too high?

What's your SG at?
And since you are using a refractometer, what are you using to calibrate it with? I check and re-check my refractometer before my water changes.

My SG is 1.025, so there's no way that explanation is correct.
My guess is your refractometer is off and your SG is probably a lot higher than 1.020.

AvalancheDave

The addition of sodium citrate will take care of the precipitate:

Digital Image Colorimetry With API Ammonia Test -

Not sure if that's practical though.

Microfiltration might be an option as well.

ObsolisPrime

Wait - so the resolution that API told you is that your salinity level was too high?

What's your SG at?
And since you are using a refractometer, what are you using to calibrate it with? I check and re-check my refractometer before my water changes.

My SG is 1.025, so there's no way that explanation is correct.
My guess is your refractometer is off and your SG is probably a lot higher than 1.020.

I used a calibration fluid that came with the refractometer, and even though the directions said to use distilled water, I used the fluid. It was obviously a bad calibration on my part. When I was reading with the wrong calibration it was at 1.040, now that I've got it down it turns the normal yellow when I test for it.

Nart

Awesome. Glad you fixed it.

ObsolisPrime

Yeah thanks. I don't get why you'd send calibration fluid with a refractometer when it calls for distilled water. Whatever but yeah I'm happy ha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Reeferxbetta
Replies
Views
Claire Bear
Replies
Views
locoyo386
Replies
Views