Ammonia strips

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I have heard plenty how inaccurate they are. Some times mine turns a color thats not even on the tube. My nitrites are always 0 and nitrates are under 20. I have 3 ammonia strips left and already planned to buy a liquid kit once i ran out of strips.

Could my ammonia be high while maintaining 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates? Or is it likely to be inaccurate? Im doing a 50% or more water change anyways but just curious if ammonia could really be high while other parameters are normal. And when i say high i mean 6, honestly the color on the strip didnt match anything on the tube but i was a dark color and 6 is the highest reading on the tube.

It usually is a color i cant match but i havent lost a fish yet. And ive been doing 50% water changes at least 2 times a week. Also i use ammo lock, which i know will cause an ammonia reading even tho the ammonia has been converted supposedly.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It's probably inaccurate because if your ammonia was really 6, I'd think your fish would be dead. Have you also tested your tap water for ammonia?

3. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I did when i got the strips but i think i remember it being a very light color, 0

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd be curious to know what your tap and tank come out to using the liquid test. Let us know when you get it.