Ammonia Stress Recovery

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I've posted a few times over the past week because I've been worried about my betta hiding and not eating. He's also been glancing off objects which made me suspect parasites, although I can't see anything like ich or velvet or gill flukes.

I got paranoid about his condition last night and did a 75% water change because I wasn't sure what else to do. Today I finally got a water test kit and found that the ammonia was at 0.25 ppm. Nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 5. I just did another 50% water change to bring ammonia down to 0.

I think what happened was he gorged on an algae wafer (almost 2 weeks ago) and got constipated and lethargic, then I wasn't doing enough water changes so that turned into ammonia stress.

How can I help him recover from this and how do I do the math for how much water to change daily? I will test the water every day to keep track. Thanks!

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, I get it now! Math isn't my forte but I'm great at following directions. Ammonia was 0 or close to 0 today but nitrates are climbing (10), which seems good. I did a 20% water change anyway.
leftswerve said:
1ppm ammonia with 50% water change equals 0.5ppm ammonia left
0.5ppm at 50% wc = 0.25ppm left
0.25ppm at 50% wc =0.125ppm
etc

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom