Ammonia Spike-seacham Prime And Water Changes

1. sylviepld Member Member

I already posted about my ammonia spike under "Broken Heater Disaster". What I need help with now is this persistent high ammonia level. When I first discovered the problem I did two separate 50% water changes and added Prime which brought the ammonia back down to almost zero. I checked this morning and the ammonia was 0.25ppm so I did another 40% water change. Also added another dose of Prime. This evening my ammonia is back up to about 0.75ppm. My nitrates are at zero. It seems like my tank is recycling. I didn't know if I should do another water change so I just gave it another dose of Prime. My questions are:
    1. How often can I dose with Prime?
    2. How many water changes can I do in one day and how much? (seems like too many won't allow my tank to cycle)
    3. How long should it take for things to get back to normal?
    TIA for any advice you can give me.
  2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you give us a little more info like tank size and inhabitants? How long has this tank been set up? Do you have any ammonia in your tap? What are your other parameters - pH, nitrite, nitrate? Have you changed your filter media recently? Are you overfeeding?

As for your specific questions -

1. Prime will detoxify up to 1ppm for 24-48 hours so I would just dose once during that period as long as you see ammonia up to 1ppm.
    2. I would do a large enough water change to get the ammonia down close to 0.
    3. You could get a bottle of TSS+ or Stability to help get your cycle back on track.

3. sylviepld Member Member

My tank is a moderately planted 10 gallons and it has been set up for about 6 months. Never had any problems. I'm pretty sure I'm not overfeeding. I did do a media change the day before all this happened which is when the heater malfunctioned (went into the 90s!) The pH is 7.4 (after a drop to 6). My nitrates are 0ppm but I haven't checked the nitrites. My ammonia is currently at 0.75ppm. I have 7 glolight danios and 1 peppered cory. (I want to get him a buddy once the tank is back to normal). My tap water is fine. I have checked it several times.
    Should I do a water change every day or more than once a day and how much?
  4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Your media shouldn't be changed at all unless falling apart. It houses your beneficial bacteria and the fact that you changed it is the reason you are seeing the ammonia. All you need to do for the media is rinse it with each weekly water change in old tank water. If it starts to fall apart, you'll want to insert the new media behind the old one for a couple of weeks for it to seed and then remove the old media.

It appears you'll need to re-cycle the tank. As mentioned, I would get bottled bacteria to get your cycle back.

Just want to note that corys are shoaling fish and need at least 6+ of their own species. However, they are too active for a 10g. I would rehome the one you have.

5. sylviepld Member Member

Do ou have any suggestions for a bottome dweller? I know they are supposed to be kept in groups but thought that if they had at least one buddy it wouldn't be so bad. They are ideal because of their small size and they seemed to be doing well before this disaster.
  6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Really not many choices in this tank size. What about an Asian stone catfish?

Corys are small but as mentioned, they are pretty active little guys and appreciate being in a group to reduce stress.