Ammonia Spike! PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!

1. TreyGiles Member Member

Hello, I have had an ammonia spike in my tank for about two weeks now.

Stats.

Test kit, API Liquid Ammonia Test Kit.

Results vary from 0.25 ppm and 0.50 ppm.

On one day I had a result of 0 ppm. :;cr

I have cut back on my fish feedings to once every other day.

The current stock in my tank is as follows. One female betta (tank boss), two glow fish, one wagtail platty, and two gold tetras.

I have lost two fish to this ammonia spike, a swordtail platty, and a mickey mouse platty. The mickey mouse was my favorite fish in the tank :(

I perform a 30% water change every day treating the water with Aqueon Ammonia Neutralizer.

What do I do??? I am keeping my 10 gallon tank very very clean. I'm doing everything right with no success. I'm about to give up, take the fish back to the LFS and throw the tank out the window.

Ps. I had a nitrite spike in my tank about two weeks ago. I was able to stop it.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!! can you find some prime ? it will detox the ammonia/nitrites for 24 hours until another water change but still keep it available to handle the mini cycle....

every day water changes is about all you can do at this point...and its a must to save the fish....you dont want to use the aqueon as it starves the bacteria from doing a proper cycle....

keep the faith !!!!!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Great info from Shawnie!
    Are you still using Stress Zyme?

4. TreyGiles Member Member

I threw the stresszyme out. I have been putting a double dose of prime in my new water. Should I add more prime :;dk . I will also stop using the aqueon.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how long ago did you stop using stress zyme? no need to double dose with prime..the single dose does fine ;) you just have to change water out daily with a new dose of prime

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If you could edit your aquarium info, it would be helpful.
    It says you're suing SZ. Thanks!

7. TreyGiles Member Member

I took the Sz off my stats. I will continue to perform water changes every day. And I will stop using Aqueon. I also made sure I'm using enough Prime to help detox the ammonia. I hope everything works out alright. I would really hate to lose anymore fish.