Ammonia Spike In Cycled Aquarium

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a cycled 55 gallon tank with 6 buenos aires tetras, 6 zebra danios, 6 panda corydoras, and 3 gold dust mollies. Filtration is Top Fin Power Filter 75, Aquaclear 50, and an additional dual sponge filter. Ammonia levels used to be 0 but today it was 0.5. That got be thinking. My stocking looks good, my filtration looks good, I have a cycled aquarium, I don't think I overfed (maybe I did, lol), and didn't change filter media. Also, just for extra info, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 40-80 ppm (working on getting the nitrates down).

So, what are your thoughts why my ammonia is 0.5?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have you accounted for all of your fish? Any pest snails in the tank that could have died?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The danio (or tetra) may have scattered eggs. Usually when I catch a little spike its the cause. Or the cories could of dug up a spot of hidden food/detritus that's been building. Sure there's no hidden dead fish?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My best guess as to the cause is scattered infertile eggs (or fertile/dead fry) or the disturbance of a spot of build up.

Otherwise unless the power was out when you weren't home or a filter malfunction I'm not sure.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Today's water change day, and I changed 50% of the water.

Yeah, I've found 3 fry today, so the fry death's could be the cause.

I think they're zebra danio fry, but they rarely move. How and what do zebra danio fry eat?

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today's water change day, and I changed 50% of the water.

Yeah, I've found 3 fry today, so the fry death's could be the cause.

I think they're zebra danio fry, but they rarely move. How and what do zebra danio fry eat?
Green water/infusoria, they don't need to be fed for 24-48 hours after hatching as they will still have the egg sac, most likely cories will eat them all.

I sometimes get a few survivors out of my community with danios because of horn wort. Usually I move any gravid females I can spot into a breeder because I keep a lot of danios as dithers

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom