Ammonia spike in beta tank after methylene blue

aryekyoko

Hello,
I am currently treating my beta fish who is alone in a 5 gallon tank with severe fin rot that has quickly been progressing. He was not eating for a while but recently has started eating sometimes but he has been erratically swimming in quick spurts in random directions and mostly staying in one place at the bottom of the tank. Since i started treating this fin rot with Maracyn and aquarium salt (which i only used very briefly since antibiotics seemed like a better choice) he has had proper water temperature and no ammonia and nitrates in the tank and the right pH (i added almond leaves). today he showed some improvement in his swimming (not only at the bottom of the tank) and eating (at the top of the tank for the first time and not having to feed it to him with a pipet at the bottom, i also soaked the food in garlic once) but his fin rot is still getting worse at the bottom of his fin. So today i felt more confident trying to treat him with a methylene blue bath and taking him out of the tank. This transfer to the bath went very badly as he jumped out of the cup into a bowl on my table with no water which i then could put him in the bath, he has survived this tragic incident and looked good in the bath for 30 minutes, while he was in the bath, i used the opportunity to clean the gravel in his tank as i have not been using biological filtration while using Maracyn for the past 5 days and just using a sponge pad filter in my filter cartridge tray and an air stone in the tank. I did a 50% water change while cleaning the gravel with a siphon which i think might have been a mistake since it may have been too many environmental changes at once between the methylene blue bath and the new water (i use api stress coat as my water conditioner). Now that he is back in his main tank after this stressful transfer (i think he really doesn’t like being a cup) I see that he is back to being sick as he has been, just swimming at the bottom of the tank, he didn’t eat last time i put a pellet in and is still having erratic swimming spasms. While transferring him from the methylene blue bath i did this in a cup and so when i transferred him back in a good cup full of the blue water did as well. So i tested my water and now have seen a rapid spike in the ammonia which i have included a picture of. this is very concerning since he already has sever fin rot. i’m not sure what to do now since i have just done a big water change. i read on the bottle methalyne blue can cause a spike in ammonia with plants and biological filtration and can produce a rapid spike in ammonia, im not sure if this applies to the almond leaves i have in the tank and if the cup full of methylene blue in my 5 gallon tank caused the ammonia or what it was. I have not had any ammonia in my tank before since i have had the test kit and been treating his fin rot (which was after i did a two big water changes). I really am not sure what to do an know it is urgent to not have ammonia in the tank. I have heard of ammonia spiking with water changes and not cycled tanks, also the Maracyn treatment i have been using i think kills off beneficial bacteria (maybe this is relevant to the ammonia spike i’m not sure). Any help would be so appreciated. Also is it harmful to use Metheylen blue after erythromycin? i’m not sure if that’s causing issues either.

Attachments

• 37FEF952-658D-4085-90F7-A8F88CF90434.jpeg
    37FEF952-658D-4085-90F7-A8F88CF90434.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2

BigManAquatics

Not sure if methythylene blue is one of them, but several meds do have a tendency to kill off your good bacteria, which i think is why the ammonia spikes.

RayClem

Yep! Methylene blue and Maracyn (erythromycin) both can adversely affect beneficial bacteria. It sounds like you removed your filter media while treating with Maracyn. I hope you kept it wet while it was out of the tank.

If the ammonia spike is high enough to harm your fish, you might want to get a bottle of Seachem Prime to treat your water. I has a chemical that will detoxify ammonia until the beneficial bacteria have a chance to process it.

Do you know if your tap water contains chloramine? If you are unsure, check with your water company. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine plus ammonia. If your nitrogen cycle is well established, the bacteria will take care of the ammonia as long as you use a dechlorinator to break the chloramine bond and neutralize the chlorine. However, since your biofilter might have been compromised, doing a water change might have introduced ammonia into the tank.

aryekyoko

Yep! Methylene blue and Maracyn (erythromycin) both can adversely affect beneficial bacteria. It sounds like you removed your filter media while treating with Maracyn. I hope you kept it wet while it was out of the tank.

If the ammonia spike is high enough to harm your fish, you might want to get a bottle of Seachem Prime to treat your water. I has a chemical that will detoxify ammonia until the beneficial bacteria have a chance to process it.

Do you know if your tap water contains chloramine? If you are unsure, check with your water company. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine plus ammonia. If your nitrogen cycle is well established, the bacteria will take care of the ammonia as long as you use a dechlorinator to break the chloramine bond and neutralize the chlorine. However, since your biofilter might have been compromised, doing a water change might have introduced ammonia into the tank.
The only filter i am working with now because i have a beginner aqueon tank is a foam pad cut to size where the default filter cartridges go. I put a picture below. I think i need more than just this on pad to effectively filter like bio filtration with bio balls but there is not a place i could put them in my filter since the cartridge is so small. My tap water reads with no ammonia though but right now the ammonia is still high and this spike was very unexpected since during the maracyn treatment the whole time i was getting an ammonia reading of zero so i’m not sure what changed all of a sudden? really a mystery to me since it’s been so consistent with everything i’ve been doing recently until the methalyne blue

The only filter i am working with now because i have a beginner aqueon tank is a foam pad cut to size where the default filter cartridges go. I put a picture below. I think i need more than just this on pad to effectively filter like bio filtration with bio balls but there is not a place i could put them in my filter since the cartridge is so small. My tap water reads with no ammonia though but right now the ammonia is still high and this spike was very unexpected since during the maracyn treatment the whole time i was getting an ammonia reading of zero so i’m not sure what changed all of a sudden? really a mystery to me since it’s been so consistent with everything i’ve been doing recently until the methalyne blue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question