Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Ammonia Spike From Meds?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Screamingmimi1979, May 24, 2019.

1. Screamingmimi1979 New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin Biowheel. It's been up and running for almost 3 years. I have a heater set to 77 degrees F. I have one male betta, a mystery snail, a nerite snail and live plants (Anubias and wisteria). Nothing new added to tank in the past year.
    I do a partial water change of about 20% every Saturday. I use Top Fin water Dechlorinator when I do my pwc. I have a syphon that I use for water changes and I vacuum the substrate (gravel).
    I cycled the tank when I got it 3 years ago before adding anything. I use API Freshwater Master Kit to test the water.

Ammonia: 0.25 (has gone down from 0.5)
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    pH: 6.4
    I feed Stormy in the morning, just a few pellets (Zoo med Betta pellets)

I have had Stormy for almost 3 years.
    I noticed a white fuzzy spot on his dorsal fin a month ago. It looked a fungus. I did a few water changes and the fuzziness went away and it looked raw.
    I used Tetracycline and it seemed to help for a few days. Now his spot is worse. I noticed the ammonia spike last week and have been doing 25% water changes every other day since I found out.
    He is still acting OK. Swimming around and greeting me when I walk by him. He is also eating normally.

I am wondering if the meds caused the spike and the spike is why he isn't healing and what can I do. Stormy and the tank were gifts from my boyfriend 3 years ago. My boyfriend passed away last year and I will do whatever I can to help Stormy get through this. I feel stupid because I think the meds did more harm than good.

Attached Files:

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like saddle back (columnaris) to me. Your water conditions seem within reason. Just keep on eye on them while treating and partial water changes as needed.

3. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

it is an antibiotic and will kill the cycle  

do you have carbon in the filter? it so, then it is removing the meds from the water. next time it would be best to get a container of water to be used as a QT/hospital tank.

4. Screamingmimi1979 New Member Member

I had a small tank (1 gallon) I kept just in case of an event like this but it was in our shed and something fell on it and cracked it. Of course, I forgot to get another and now I need it :-/

5. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

A smaller plastic tote could serve the same purpose for you. Good luck with him.

6. RSababady Well Known Member Member

Is Tetracycline not an antibiotic?
    If so, then it may have wiped out the beneficial bacteria in your filter. I don't know if Tetracycline affects beneficial bacteria, so if I were you, I would check to make sure that your tank is still cycled.

7. Screamingmimi1979 New Member Member

Apparently I am stupid and the antibiotics I used restarted the cycle. Plus, now I believe my fish has columnaris and I can't find meds for it near me. I went to 4 pet stores this morning looking for Furan 2 and Kanaplex and nobody carried them. I just ordered some online, but with it being a holiday weekend, I don't know if they will get here in time. I put Stormy in the only other tank I have ( a one gallon that a friend game me). I guess I will just continue water changes and hope for the best until the meds come in. I checked parameters again this morning before the pwc.
    Ammonia 1.0
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 20

8. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

do a large water change and keep using the Tetracycline if you still have any left.

9. Screamingmimi1979 New Member Member

I tried everything but he didn't make it

10. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

sorry for your loss. at least it was a learning experience