Ammonia Spike From Dead Shrimp Help

1. D

Daniel Nguyen Initiate Member

Hello everyone,

I just returned from a 3-day trip and found out my shrimp tank was really cloudy but all the CRS were still doing fine. I took the API test kit and measured the ammonia level and it was 0.5 ppm. While I was trying to remove the IAL and driftwood (at first I thought this might be the because of the tannin or something), I found 2 dead shrimps that got stuck inside the driftwood. Then, I thought this might be the source of the ammonia spike and cloudy water. So, I immediately did a 50% water change to help bring down the ammonia level. This morning, the ammonia is still 0.5 ppm and the water is still cloudy. What should I do now? Remove all the shrimps to a bucket that has similar parameter with the tank or just leave it like that for 1 or 2 day? Please advise

Thank you

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Keep up the WCs.

Try 25-50% daily until the ammonia drops.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Removing the shrimp will kill the cycle. Use prime and do lots of water changes. Prime will protect the shrimp for a whole day.

4. OP
    OP
    D

5. Sarah73

Dose it normally. Your tank is how big?

6. OP
    OP
    D

It's 15 gallon tank

7. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss, What kind of shrimp? , and how long has your tank been cycled? I am both curious and surprised that 2 shrimp spiked your ammonia that much, unless we are talking bamboo shrimp or something very large.

However, this is a good point that proves the smaller the tank the faster it will go bad if something happens.

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I really doubt 2 dead shrimp could spike the ammonia to 0.5 in a 15 gallon. More likely they died as a result of the spike.

9. Sarah73

Yeah that's what I was thinking but I didn't wanna question the owner. 5 mL for every 10 gallons.

10. OP
    OP
    D

I have about 20-25 Crystal Red Shrimp in my tank. It has been fishless cycled for 5 weeks with dosing ammonia about 2 ppm. One thing about the cycling process is I used tap water + prime for the cycle and then the day before I added shrimps, I do 100% water change with re-mineralized RO water. Everything has been going pretty well for last 2 weeks. Next, I decided to add fours things to my tank: 1 mat of Java moss mat, 1 driftwood, 1 almond leaves, a bit of Bacter AE daily to help the baby shrimps. Then, I took out the HOB filter because I I think I over-filter the tank since I already have 2 sponges filters inside the tank so The last three days I was on travel and all my wife did was to add very small amount of Bacter AE and shrimp foods. Finally, this morning I saw the cloudy water and 2 dead shrimps. That's all the details I can think of .

I personally think the 2 shrimps dead because of the ammonia spike not the cause of it. But I still don't know where the ammonia spike is coming from :(

I also agree with you Mak. I am still trying to figure out the cause of the ammonia spike. Please see my respond to tjander above.

Thank you both :)

11. OP
    OP
    D

I just want to post a quick update on my shrimp tank. Ever since I added Prime yesterday, the shrimps have been doing just fine and no death at all. However, the water's been still cloudy and the ammonia is still 0.5 ppm. I read a couple online posts yesterday and I think I am having bacteria bloom which causes ammonia raised to 0.5 ppm. And the cause is probably from the Indian Almond Leaves. I probably made a mistake by not cleansing it well enough before putting it into the tank :(

Here is the link to the investigation on Indian Almond Leaves:

I am planning to take all the shrimps out into a 5 gallon bucket that has exactly the same water parameter with the tank and then do a 100% water change plus cleaning the substrate and the filter. When everything is settle, I put the shrimps back into the tank. Do you think it's gonna be a good idea? I personally don't think it's gonna ruin y cycle right? My other thought is to keep adding Prime everyday and wait until the cloudy is gone. Please advise

Thanks everyone

12. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

It’s risky to move the shrimp. If it was me I would add the prime, and maybe do small daily water changes.

If you decide to go full clean, remember to clean everything with old tank water so not to lose the cycle. Again I think this option is risky especially in light your not loose shrimp anymore.