Ammonia Spike And Bettas Have Velvet

1. madeline J oquendo

madeline J oquendo Member Member

Hi I have an ammonia spike in my 2 tanks I will be change the waters today. But sadly i think 2 of my bettas have velvet. Wat can I do. Please help. I don't want to loss them. Also I have a new one that is gonna be in quarantine

Attached Files:

2. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Member Member

What size tanks are these? Do you have a heater? How long have you had them? Can you take pics of the Velvet?

3. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

10 gallon amd the other one is in a 3.5 gallon. They both have heaters. Peter parker about 2 weeks and my other 1 week. I attached a pic its hard to get one of peter he moves around alot

This one is wakanda

Attached Files:

4. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Member Member

You need to do AT LEAST a 50% water change every day to get that ammonia down.
    I've never treated velvet before so I'm sorry I can't help with that. :(

Velvet Treatment

5. Raimy101

Raimy101 Initiate Member

The one pic doesn't look like velvet at all. I'd say it's his natural color. Many betrays have this sheen naturally.
    For the ammonia spike you need to do 50% water changes to bring that number down. I'm thinking 3 in a row to be under 1.0 ppm.

6. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

I think this lovely fish looks very healthy, with perhaps just a small touch of fin rot, but it's difficult to tell with photographs.

But even without a photograph I would suspect it because of the poor water quality.

I truly would recommend back-to-back water changes to get those parameters down and also I would stick one Indian almond Leaf in with him to help prevent infection and make him more comfortable.

You can get a pack at most fish stores for about $4. This will turn your water yellow and acidic and it kills unwanted bacteria in the process.

I didn't really believe this until I tried it myself years & years later and it really works.

Bettas who seemed lethargic are perking up, and bettas who were not mating are mating.

Bettas live in little pools and rice paddies and tiny streams where the water moves slowly, and it's softened because of tannic acid in the water. That acid comes from dead plants, and it's an important part of their natural environment.

7. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

Ok thank you i will do and my baby wakanda does have a bit of fin rot since I got him. I bought the mini almond leaves does these work fine as well? & how can I treat the fin rot all ive done rite now is water changes and aquarium salt. All their medications are on the way

Attached Files:

8. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Member Member

Clean water should cure fin rot. I wouldn’t use salt as Bettas are highly sensitive. It should only be used in extreme cases IMO. Good luck!! You seem to have caught it in time!

9. Ulu

Yeah I don't use salt with bettas. Nowadays I would be siphoning his container and changing his water daily.

Plus, give him a half dose of Paraguard after each water change.

That will help with fin rot and Gill flukes and other such things.

I use the giant leaves myself and the smaller ones would work too. The big ones are easy for the fish to hide behind.

10. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

Ok thanks for the info. I have his medication on the way but I will change his water daily. I have 4 snails with him. Maybe that's why I have to change is water so much

11. Ulu

Are they huge snails? ....tiny snails?.... how big?

12. OP
    OP
    madeline J oquendo

Mid size mystery snail

13. Ulu

Well they will eat about eight times as much as that betta, so if you're putting too much food in the tank that should be real obvious.