Ammonia Remover Water Treatment - Would You Recommend...

Paulo Souza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TinySwimmer said:
In helping cycle my new tank? I've just bought a bottle! After using, how long do you tend to wait before putting the fish in?
Add a pinch of fish food daily with a biological filter running and do this for 45 days. After that u can start adding fiah

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the "ammonia remover". What brand is it? Usually they don't remove Ammonia, they just convert it to its non-toxic form.

If you want to cycle your tank, before adding fish, a product that removes ammonia, doesn't work that way. If you are wanting to do a fish-in cycle, then you will need a bacteria supplement to boost the cycle.

I suggest using Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability, and purchasing an API Freshwater Master Test kit to help get your tank cycled. For a fishless cycle you will need to buy some pure ammonia to feed your good bacteria.

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Came home from work to find my (brand new clean water in brand new tank) looking like THIS?!
269975f2ccc1d98c0ae2715cc0c3f2a1.jpg
a7705f32dea94b0ce7d9bc233fea063d.jpg

I did an ammonia test yesterday, it was 'dangerous' at 6.0.

Just opened the lid and this is what the water looks like!!!!!
e2e3c440f3f81359c15a6e219db98e26.jpg
e2e3c440f3f81359c15a6e219db98e26.jpg

I'm losing my mind here what is even happening?!

Brutal Riot Girl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TinySwimmer said:
Just opened the lid and this is what the water looks like!!!!! View attachment 350111View attachment 350112
I'm losing my mind here what is even happening?!
Did you rinse out the aquarium before you filled it up? If not take out the water, rinse aquarium a few times, get an unused wet sponge, wipe the glass with it, rinse repeat, or a papertowl. My water has never looked like tharpt before, did you have the filter running, did you rinse the carbon if it has any before installing in filter?

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Brutal Riot Girl said:
Did you rinse out the aquarium before you filled it up? If not take out the water, rinse aquarium a few times, get an unused wet sponge, wipe the glass with it, rinse repeat, or a papertowl. My water has never looked like tharpt before, did you have the filter running, did you rinse the carbon if it has any before installing in filter?
I did, I hosed the tank wiped down the sides yesterday and added new water. Today it looks this way. Looks disgusting this didn't happen in my old tank

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why would you want to remove ammonia when you're cycling your tank? The tank can't cycle without ammonia. That being said, 6.0 is a little higher than I'm comfortable with, I would do a small water change to get the ammonia down to 4.0 just to make sure your cycle doesn't stall.

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Racing1113 said:
Why would you want to remove ammonia when you're cycling your tank? The tank can't cycle without ammonia. That being said, 6.0 is a little higher than I'm comfortable with, I would do a small water change to get the ammonia down to 4.0 just to make sure your cycle doesn't stall.
I don't know. I thought ammonia was a bad thing.
I'm throwing the whole thing away and keeping them where they are in their current tank. This whole buying a new tank thing has been one disaster to the next and I'm fed up with it.
It's extremely disheartening.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TinySwimmer said:
I don't know. I thought ammonia was a bad thing.
I'm throwing the whole thing away and keeping them where they are in their current tank. This whole buying a new tank thing has been one disaster to the next and I'm fed up with it.
It's extremely disheartening.
High ammonia is bad when you have fish in the tank. But if you're doing a fishless cycle and the ammonia or nitrites get high, you're not harming anything. Really the only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't get so high that it stalls your cycle. Cycling a tank can be super long, and can be frustrating. But you're definitely on the right track. I would still just do some water changes to get your ammonia down to 4.0 and I'd bet pretty soon you'll see some nitrites.

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Racing1113 said:
High ammonia is bad when you have fish in the tank. But if you're doing a fishless cycle and the ammonia or nitrites get high, you're not harming anything. Really the only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't get so high that it stalls your cycle. Cycling a tank can be super long, and can be frustrating. But you're definitely on the right track. I would still just do some water changes to get your ammonia down to 4.0 and I'd bet pretty soon you'll see some nitrites.
Okay thanks. What about the way it looks? Have you seen that before? I tend to do a lot of my research on YouTube but I don't understand any of the terminology really so it's hard to know what's going on

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TinySwimmer said:
Okay thanks. What about the way it looks? Have you seen that before? I tend to do a lot of my research on YouTube but I don't understand any of the terminology really so it's hard to know what's going on
Lol trust me I've been there! The cloudiness definitely looks like a bacterial bloom, which is a good thing. Still trying to figure out what the stuff on the top is though - at first I thought it was bubbles.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there. So can you explain how you are doing the fishless cycle in your tank? Are you adding pure ammonia, then waiting until your Ammonia drops to zero, water change, then add Ammonia. That kind of fishless cycle?

Your Ammonia should not rise if you aren't adding Ammonia to the tank.

I would do a 50% water change. Then retest your parameters an hour later. See where you sit. Test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH.

Ammonia is bad, but the nitrogen cycle will naturally take care of it. No need to remove it.

Brutal Riot Girl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Where did you get the Ammonia from? Brand, type? I am also currently doing a fishless cycle, it has been some work but I know it will be worth it. I have learned alot, don't give up. I had fish before but didn't know anything about the fishles s cycle. There are a bunch of people here to help answer questions.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the sound of it you are upgrading your tank size. You could also just put your old filter as well as your new bigger filter on the tank and basically have an instant cycle. Think of it as just a big water change.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom