Ammonia reading Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by gef21, Mar 18, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

Ok so I know this probably is nothing to be worried about but I just want to check. Cycled my tank have had some more fish in there for about a week now. did a 20% water change monday with a reading of 0 0 5 (with api master test kit).

Today checked again and had a reading of .5 0 5 or 10 orange was kind of inbetween.

Should I do another water change?

Is it ok that I am getting a small amount of ammonia?

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

looks like a mini-cycle.

I'd say a water change, and some Prime (if you have it) are in order ;)

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, sounds like your tank is cycling. Hopefully it will be fast!

It is a problem to have any ammonia in the tank - for 2 reasons, in my opinion. First, any ammonia is harmful/lethal for fish. Second, once you are having an ammonia problem, it is easy for the situation to cycle out of control.

I would say that daily partial water changes with Prime would be the best thing. You should stick with it until you are back to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. The Prime will convert the toxins to be less harmful until the next day, when the next water change happens.

4. OP
    OP
    gef21

ok like a 20% everyday until it goes away? Yeah I forgot to say that I used prime when adding water into the tank.

5. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

With .5 ammonia, I'd probably do at least a 50% change for the first one....

6. Meenu

I think 20% daily is fine, personally.

7. OP
    OP
    gef21

ok when i get home from teaching tomorrow I will do a water change.

8. s

sknr03 New Member Member

Try cheating. You need the water changes until things level out but you could buy a fluval style filter and put in about anything. Place it near the middle and dont use all of it because you are running a small tank. Remember to get the one to meet your needs. it wont work as well on a power filter as a canister but it will help more than you might think.

9. Meenu

I'm sorry... I don't understand this advice. I have a fluval 305 on a 30 gallon... I still have to do daily water changes when I have an ammonia problem, or the fish die. I don't see how it alleviates the task. Also, why spend an enormous amount of money on a canister and then not use the whole thing? ???

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sorry sknr but "cheating" or getting a new filter isn't going to resolve the ammonia issues which he is currently having.

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    gef21

thanks for help everyone. I am going to do a 50% change tonight.

Should i take readings after I do the change?

12. Meenu

no, you want to check the water 24 hours after you change it.

13. OP
    OP
    gef21

o ok thank you.

14. C

Craig-D Valued Member Member

If the tank was cycled and you're getting a reading after adding more fish, that's a sign you added too many fish too quickly and overloaded your biofilter. It will take a few days for it to catch up. Also your tank is a bit overstocked. You've got 9 fish in a 10 gallon tank (and with gravel, decorations, ect. it's probably only actually got 8 gallons of water in it). You can get away with the overstocking and will likely get the ammonia under control if you stay on top of it, but frequent water changes are going to be your friend going forward.

15. OP
    OP
    gef21

Yeah I am aware of it being overstocked. I have a 38 Gallon tank with a stand that I will be setting up and moving some of the fish into (or the 29 gallon tank I am setting up in my classroom).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice