Ammonia Reading

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jazmin said:
oh okay. well darn that sucks. i thought the safestart would at least make it somewhat easier
Yeah, it's unfortunate. This (amongst a bunch of other reasons) is why I always advice to cycle without fish. You never know what's going to happen and suddenly you're all stressed out cause you have fish in a tank with unhealthy water. Try the safestart plus if someone else has had better experiences with it. Also (but I assume you did) make sure to use the product correctly.

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea going into this i knew somewhat about the nitrogen cycle. so i thought doing a fish in cycle with the safestart would be okay since i read that it at least keeps them safe during it. i think i’m going to try a bottle of the safestart plus and if that doesn’t work then i’ll have to figure something out. i know i used it right. was it maybe because i just dumped it into the water and not the filter too? i dumped the whole bottle in.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jazmin said:
yea going into this i knew somewhat about the nitrogen cycle. so i thought doing a fish in cycle with the safestart would be okay since i read that it at least keeps them safe during it. i think i’m going to try a bottle of the safestart plus and if that doesn’t work then i’ll have to figure something out. i know i used it right. was it maybe because i just dumped it into the water and not the filter too? i dumped the whole bottle in.
As far as I know you're supposed to use the entire bottle and just add it to the water column. Sounds to me like you've done it right. Might've been a bad/too old batch?

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i checked the date before adding and it was well into the future not sure on the exact date but i know that. could’ve just been a bad batch i guess

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jazmin said:
i checked the date before adding and it was well into the future not sure on the exact date but i know that. could’ve just been a bad batch i guess
Could also be that it has been exposed to temperatures that has an effect on the product during shipping or storing.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jazmin said:
oh okay. well darn that sucks. i thought the safestart would at least make it somewhat easier
At this point there are 2 procedures being mixed up in this thread.
At this point: You have fish in your system, so you are doing a fish in cycle. Do not let the ammonia go over 1ppm, period.
It will not hurt to use safestart PLUS, however you need to keep your fish health in mind (water changes to keep it below 1ppm). That part is kind of my opinion, but not a bad one.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are you using to dechlorinate your water? If you're not using prime, you can do a large water change right before adding the safestart plus so you will have the lowest readings possible. If you're using prime, you'll need to wait at least 24 hours after a water change before adding the safestart, so I'd recommend a large water change, wait 24 hours, then dose the safestart.

The one thing I noticed using the regular safestart was that it made my nitrates CRAZY high when everything was done. The fact that yours are so low definitely tells me something didn't work right with the bottle you used. You did great with the instructions, but it was probably a bad bottle unfortunately.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do a 50 percent or more water change and add Seachem Stability or even another bootle of TSS.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads