Ammonia reading

1. J

Jeroen New Member Member

*** I did not see the sub-forums initially and moved this thread to the appropriate one. ***

Hello, I am new here and to aquariums. I have had my planted 55 gallon tank up and running for about 2 months now. I currently have a single Eheim 2217 and AC 30 power head with prefilter. I was happy when my tank finally cycled with 0,0,5-10 readings. As of approximately 10 days ago, I got a reading of 0.25 ammonia each day using the API liquid test kit. I have been doing 25-40% daily water changes but when I test the next day, the 0.25 is back again.

I have cut the feeding of the fish to once a day. Most of my plants appear green and healthy but I do have some brown needles and leaves on the Hornwort and Bacopa. I also did add some capsules with Osmocote Plus granules to the bottom of the substrate for the plants when I first started up the aquarium.

If my tank went into a mini cycle, typically how long does it take for this to clear up? Should I keep up the daily water changes? What are signs I should look out for if fish are stressed by ammonia? I would appreciate any advice if you have run into a similar experience.

Here are all my water parameters: Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: 5, PH: 7.4, GH: 18, KH: 13, Chlorine: 0 (well water)

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

PS - Welcome to FishLore!

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jeroen New Member Member

Thanks. Yes I did this morning. The tap water is yellow colored or 0 per the chart. I had the two vials next to one another and the vial with the aquarium water had a slightly greener tint to it compared to the vial with the tap water.

4. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

What fish do you have in there?

5. OP
    OP
    J

Jeroen New Member Member

I have the following.

(14) Harlequin Rasbora
    (12) Rummy nose Tetra
    (10) Neon Tetra
    (6) Sterbai Cory
    (3) Oto

I did not add them all at once. Most of the fish are still fairly small, especially the Neon Tetras. I placed an order for fish with LiveAquaria when my ammonia was still at 0. Unfortunately, a day later I saw the 0.25 reading after the order had already been placed. Otherwise I could have waited until the water parameters stabilized.

6. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Has your ammonia ever gone over.25? If not I wouldn't worry about it. Ammonia spikes are normal from time to time.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Jeroen New Member Member

I checked the ammonia again this morning. I have not done a water change yet and the reading is still holding at 0.25, the same as yesterday just after the water change. I believe the ammonia reading has been fairly consistent at 0.25 over the last 10 days. I will keep an eye on the ammonia and the health of the fish. Thanks.

8. OP
    OP
    J

Jeroen New Member Member

Yesterday, I searched in my tank and found quite a bit of dead or dying plants towards the substrate that I did not see before. I cleaned it up quite a bit. Both last night and this morning, my ammonia reading is yellow or close to it. It is hard to see the green tint but I do think it is closer to 0 now than 0.25. It has been two days since I did a water change. I plan to order some new plants.