Ammonia reading

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Jeroen, Jul 2, 2016.

1. JeroenNew MemberMember

*** I did not see the sub-forums initially and moved this thread to the appropriate one. ***

Hello, I am new here and to aquariums. I have had my planted 55 gallon tank up and running for about 2 months now. I currently have a single Eheim 2217 and AC 30 power head with prefilter. I was happy when my tank finally cycled with 0,0,5-10 readings. As of approximately 10 days ago, I got a reading of 0.25 ammonia each day using the API liquid test kit. I have been doing 25-40% daily water changes but when I test the next day, the 0.25 is back again.

I have cut the feeding of the fish to once a day. Most of my plants appear green and healthy but I do have some brown needles and leaves on the Hornwort and Bacopa. I also did add some capsules with Osmocote Plus granules to the bottom of the substrate for the plants when I first started up the aquarium.

If my tank went into a mini cycle, typically how long does it take for this to clear up? Should I keep up the daily water changes? What are signs I should look out for if fish are stressed by ammonia? I would appreciate any advice if you have run into a similar experience.

Here are all my water parameters: Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: 5, PH: 7.4, GH: 18, KH: 13, Chlorine: 0 (well water)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

PS - Welcome to FishLore!

3. OP
    OP
    J

JeroenNew MemberMember

Thanks. Yes I did this morning. The tap water is yellow colored or 0 per the chart. I had the two vials next to one another and the vial with the aquarium water had a slightly greener tint to it compared to the vial with the tap water.

4. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

What fish do you have in there?

5. OP
    OP
    J

JeroenNew MemberMember

I have the following.

(14) Harlequin Rasbora
    (12) Rummy nose Tetra
    (10) Neon Tetra
    (6) Sterbai Cory
    (3) Oto

I did not add them all at once. Most of the fish are still fairly small, especially the Neon Tetras. I placed an order for fish with LiveAquaria when my ammonia was still at 0. Unfortunately, a day later I saw the 0.25 reading after the order had already been placed. Otherwise I could have waited until the water parameters stabilized.

6. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Has your ammonia ever gone over.25? If not I wouldn't worry about it. Ammonia spikes are normal from time to time.

7. OP
    OP
    J

JeroenNew MemberMember

I checked the ammonia again this morning. I have not done a water change yet and the reading is still holding at 0.25, the same as yesterday just after the water change. I believe the ammonia reading has been fairly consistent at 0.25 over the last 10 days. I will keep an eye on the ammonia and the health of the fish. Thanks.

8. OP
    OP
    J

JeroenNew MemberMember

Yesterday, I searched in my tank and found quite a bit of dead or dying plants towards the substrate that I did not see before. I cleaned it up quite a bit. Both last night and this morning, my ammonia reading is yellow or close to it. It is hard to see the green tint but I do think it is closer to 0 now than 0.25. It has been two days since I did a water change. I plan to order some new plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice