Ammonia Reading Zero?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Darkri, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I was going to do a water change and redo my tank soon but I was trying to get someone to help me because the tank is taller then my arms and it's hard to reach the bottom. I was going to check the ammonia to see if I needed to do a partial before then (in two days) but my test keep reading zero, this can't be true, just last week it was barely below 2 and I'm freaking out. I've done the test over 3 different times and it's the same result. Is this bad? Is my test expired (I don't have the box anymore and I'm sure it said I still had until some time next year)? Or is my tank really clear? (I really doubt it)

2. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    0 ammonia is never a bad thing. If your test is expired and youre testing a stocked and cycled tank...then yes its probably inaccurate. Depends if its a heavily planted low stocked tank or if youre overfiltering and have enough bacteria to eat up the ammonia and nitrates. Do your water changes as you otherwise would have, get a new test, and go from there.

3. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    It's a 20 gallon with 3 ghost shrimp, 2 tiger nerites, 2 zebra nerites, a 2 inch albino bristlenose pleco, and a male betta with fluval stratum substrate, 2 big aponogetons (one is even blooming) a Amazon sword and 3 of another plant that I can't remember what it is but are pretty tall, and I keep the filter going all the time. The tank has been filtering with the betta for almost 6 weeks now

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Experience:
    1 year
    How long had this tank been running, and how were water changes been performed in the past?

Are you using a cup/pitcher or a gravel siphon vac?

Using a gravel vac does not require you to reach into the tank, if it's long enough.

Arw you able to stand on a chair or a short 2-step folding ladder for better access?

5. OP
    OP
    Darkri

DarkriNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh the cleaning isn't the hard part, I just don't want to stress my betta (who is recovering from fin rot) anymore then I have to. I was planning on moving things around in my tank (taking out a large fake plant I have) because my aponogetons are taking over the tank at this point and wanted to add sand to the bottom of my tank to help hold down my plants (the come loose sometimes from my snails digging) and just want to make it easier to clean

Did an ammonia test on my mother's betta tank and it read about a 1 so the test is working properly? The only change in my tank over the last few weeks (besides the weekly water change) was that my betta killed one of my ghost shrimp(?) (It might have been a whisker shrimp)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019