Ammonia Questions?

PepperidgeFarms

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a fishless cycle and might just be an idiot but I thought ammonia would be clear... is it supposed to be yellow coloured? I bought it at safeway and can't seem to find any info on it other than it saying "all-purpose household ammonia" Something I read online was that most household ones are diluted but mine doesn't say anything about that. It doesn't mention any additives like scents or anything but I'm scared to put it in yet until I know it's ok so I don't ruin everything...
It looks like this although the packaging looks a little different now.

PepperidgeFarms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the whole part of the cycling process? There aren't any fish in there so it'll get the beneficial bacterias growing

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you shake the bottle? If the ammonia bubbles, I would not add it to the tank. Dollar Tree in the US has the right kind of ammonia.

Adrian Burke said:
Nooo dont put ammonia into the tank you use filters to get it out!!!
Filters don't actually remove ammonia. Bacteria does. Its actually a good thing to add ammonia to an empty tank to start bacteria colonizing before the addition of fish.

PepperidgeFarms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow... so I was putting some more ammonia in and the glass part of the bottle dropper fell into the bottle of ammonia while I was still holding onto the rubber handle/pump type thing... do I just leave it in there? That won't affect the ammonia at all right? or should I pour it all into something to get that piece out and put the ammonia back in its container?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
PepperidgeFarms said:
Isn't that the whole part of the cycling process? There aren't any fish in there so it'll get the beneficial bacterias growing
Yes, absolutely. In a fishless cycle you need to add an ammonia source.

The glass part of the bottle dropper won't affect the ammonia, but I would suggest getting it out, as it may affect the ability to pour the ammonia out of the bottle..

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adrian Burke said:
Nooo dont put ammonia into the tank you use filters to get it out!!!
To cycle, a tank has to have an ammonia source. Since this is going to be cycling without fish to provide the ammonia then an alternate ammonia source is necessary. In this case liquid ammonia is the alternate source.

@PepperidgeFarms The glass dropper won't affect the ammonia but it might be best to get it out so you can use it to dose the ammonia. Have you shaken the bottle to make sure it doesn't suds up? You don't want to use an ammonia that has anything other than pure ammonia in it. Any kind of soap product will be toxic to your future fish.

PepperidgeFarms

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought a different bottle that was just clear and shook it so that's what I used in the end.. I've also got another glass dropper so maybe I'll abandon the other lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom