Ammonia question

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Is it normal for ammonia readings to rise the first couple days after adding new fish to a cycled tank? If so, is there a normal amount it rises to? Thanks!

2. Fall River Member Member

Really depends on how many fish you added and how much their "output" is. In any event the bio filter should catch up to the new bio load. Just keep a close eye on the ammonia levels and change water if necessary.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, it depends how many and what size. Too depends if the fish produces more waste like a single Pleco.

Adding 2-3 small fish shouldn't interrupt much. Then space inbetween for 3 more to bring up a school. About 2-weeks or so. Quarantine new fish for at least 2-3 weeks is a good idea.

Sometimes you can tell by if the waters appearence gets a slight milky white or milkier. This means most likely an ammonia spike and will clear itself when the good bacteria catches up to the new waste load. Partial water changes should be done help if you get a ammonia reading. Or you may not even get a reading on the test as its too low to distinguish.

:)

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

ok, well I added 4 black skirt tetras, and when I tested the ammonia yesterday it was at 1 ppm, so I did a water change.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

As your tank appears to be very newly cycled, the bacterial colony isn't established enough to easily adapt to additions. This is probably the primary reason why a tank should be stocked very slowly. To give the bacteria a chance to grow to adapt to the new bioload.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You did the right thing to to a water change, I would continue to monitor and do WC's as needed to keep the ammonia down. The biomass will catch up fairly quickly, just try to stock a little slower at the start of a tank.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If it won't go back down to 0, then that means you ran out of filtration and need to get more.

8. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

how long does it normally take after adding new fish to get back to 0?

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A day

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

oh boy, well it's been 5 days and it still is staying around .25 ppm

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You need more filtration then. I would upgrade to an AC70.

12. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I don't currently have the money to do that :/ is there anything else I can do for the short term?

13. Lupinus Member Member

Water changes daily with prime or amquel+ to lower and detox the ammonia

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yup

Get any additional filtration you can - even a small $20 filter will help and might be enough to bridge the gap until you can get a bigger filter for the tank.

15. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

16. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

catsma-what do you mean by that?

17. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Add a sponge filter to your tank. Replace the air stone. I always buy sponge filters rated higher than the tank. For example my 55G is filtered with an AC70 and a 130G rated sponge filter. This tank is housing 25 angels and I never have issues with waste between water changes.

18. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

i'd never heard of those before! where do you find them?

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member