ammonia problems

1. evo1234 Initiate Member

So I added TSS to my 33 and waited a week. i tested the water and it was: ammonia1
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 9
    ph about 6.5

then i waited 3 more days and the ammonia was .25 all the other tests were the same.

should i wait until the ammonia reaches 0 or should I do a 25% water change?

if i should do a water change should I vacuum the gravel or just remove water?

THANKS!!!

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what size bottle TSS did you use for your 33 gallon? Did your tank have prime in it when you added the TSS? Was the TSS expired when you added it?

The API kit has an option of a nitrate reading of 9? I thought it went from 5 to 10. lol...

Honestly, I would wait 2 more days and test again. If at that point, there is still ammonia, then I would do a water change with some prime, being careful not to disturb the gravel. I would do this daily until the tank completes cycling.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldnt wait...10 days is max IMO and id start water changes...if you can explain the situation when you added tss, maybe we can help figure what went wrong...

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

5. evo1234 Initiate Member

Thanks for the responses.

I used a TSS bottle for 75 gallon aquariums. When I added TSS I had .25 ammonia and .25 nitrite. It was not expired. I changed my water with Prime but then waited 24hrs then added the TSS. I haven't changed the water since. the API test doesn't have a 9 but it didn't look like a 10 or a 5.

Did my tank not cycle?

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If you still have ammonia, then your tank did not cycle. Hopefully, the TSS established enough of a bacterial colony that it is very close to cycling. At this point, do water changes every day using prime until the ammonia reading and the nitrite readings are down to zero.

I have a feeling it is very close. Please keep us posted on your readings, especially if you notice any distress in your fish such as reddening of the gills (sign of ammonia poisoning).

7. evo1234 Initiate Member

the nitrite readings have been zero since day 4. since there is still ammonia would a 25% water change do? or should I do a 50%? Thanks.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

50% would be better. The purpose of the water changes at this point is to make the tank safer for the fish. Large water changes will actually delay the cycle a bit, but since you have fish, they'll be safer with less ammonia in the water. The reason you do the changes every day is because the Prime detoxifies for 24 hours at a time. Don't vaccuum the gravel until your cycle is established.

I remember reading that someone didn't do the daily water changes, but just added the Prime daily, even with fish in the tank. This would detoxify your water, not delay the cycle (maybe?) - I know this isn't recommended, but I am not sure why.

I assume that during the 10 days with the TSS, you didn't add any other products to the tank?

As far as the readings at day 4, they wouldn't have been accurate. TSS gives bizarre readings while it is working.

The only other thing I can think of is bioload. TSS died out in my tank (30g) when I only had 2 danios in. It was because there wasn't enough of a bioload to feed the bacteria, and it died. My tank (comminuty - danios, guppies, cories) didn't end up cycling properly until I used the large bottle of TSS and with 15 fish.

But I don't know about convicts, how big they are, etc. It's possible that there just wasn't enough bioload and the TSS died. Are 2 cons fully stocking a 33 gallon? I think you have to be careful when using TSS not to overwhelm the bacteria by overstocking your tank, but you also have to be careful to have enough bacteria to sustain bacteria development.

edit: I think you are probably fine at this point doing the daily water changes with Prime. This didn't go over well in my house. My husband was not tolerant of the daily water changes, and we were arguing about it. So we kept trying the TSS until I got it right. I think it is a great product, and works well, but is super-finicky and has to be used perfectly.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great advice again!!!!:;nw

go with the prime addition..at this point it wont hurt anything as the tss didnt work for you.....leave the water changes for a few more days but use prime daily every 24hours

10. evo1234 Initiate Member

ok. i'll add Prime every 24hrs and wait a couple more days. thanks.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I do think you should change your water. I know I earlier recommended waiting 2 more days. but Shawnie has years more experience than I do, and her recommendation was to start your water changes now. :)

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

but I didnt realize she had prime...if thats the case, i would give it a few more days without a change...with the little ammonia she has, the prime will take care of the toxicity...water changes can wait a couple more days ;)

13. evo1234 Initiate Member

i just tested the water before adding Prime and it was almost the same.

ammonia .5
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10
    ph 6.5

if the ammonia is still there after a couple more days should i then do water changes?

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say try to just add the Prime for a couple of days. If it isn't done cycling by then, post your readings here and get fresh advice. But yes, probably you'll want to do water changes.

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

has your ph been that low since the beginning? if so, that would be what happened to your tss....below 7ph isnt ammonia but ammonium and that is less food for the tss....i agree keep using prime for a couple days and have faith....

16. evo1234 Initiate Member

the ph has always been that low.

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I missed that in the first post..im sorry
    thats probably why its taking so much longer..you dont have ammonia with that low of a ph....again, id go with NO water changes a few more days with the prime every 24 hours.....

18. evo1234 Initiate Member

since the nitrite lvl is 0 does that mean the tank "kinda" cycled? will the ph lvl go up? if so when should that happen?

Thanks again.

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the cycle process is moving along..yes......its just taking a bit longer than the 7-10 days as i feel the ph being lower, isnt producing ammonia to feed the TSS ...its producing ammonium ...and as the tank finishes its cycle process, the ph will regulate itself...but that could be your permanent ph ...either way, as long as your ph is stable, and doesnt go up and down all the time, your fish will be fine.....have you tested your tap water ph out of curiosity?

20. evo1234 Initiate Member

the tap water ph is 7.6