Ammonia Problems :(

Murferee

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
1
Hello fellow fish lore members! today i set up my ten gallon tank for babies and I did my water tests and the ammonia test says my ammonia is at 0.50 ppm! please someone tell me how to lower my ammonia because I have two pregnant guppies, two pregnant ghost shrimp, and two baby mollies. Thanks for your time!
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Murferee said:
Hello fellow fish lore members! today i set up my ten gallon tank for babies and I did my water tests and the ammonia test says my ammonia is at 0.50 ppm! please someone tell me how to lower my ammonia because I have two pregnant guppies, two pregnant ghost shrimp, and two baby mollies. Thanks for your time!
did you use cycled media from another tank in your 10g?

have you tested the ammonia in your tap water directly?

i'm asking that because normally the best way to reduce ammonia is to do a partial water change, but if you have ammonia in your tap water source, that wont be any good.

do you have a detoxifier like seachem prime?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Murferee

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
1
Jenoli42 said:
did you use cycled media from another tank in your 10g?

have you tested the ammonia in your tap water directly?

i'm asking that because normally the best way to reduce ammonia is to do a partial water change, but if you have ammonia in your tap water source, that wont be any good.

do you have a detoxifier like seachem prime?
I do not have seachem prime. not gonna lie , i dont even know what that is. But i didn't used cycled media and i haven't tested my tap water directly. but if I do how can that help?
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
936
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to do some partial water changes to dilute the toxins. I'd recommend doing 25% every other day, then maybe larger changes if your ammonia goes above 1.0. Some people recommend larger water changes. The two things I think everyone will agree on is to keep testing the water every day until you get things under control, and do water changes consistently.

I'd also recommend backing off on the amount of food you're giving them. Almost everyone overfeeds to some extent. While you're trying to get ammonia under control, the less food the better. It won't hurt your fish to back off on the feeding for a while.

Do you have any water conditioner? Prime is good, but any water conditioner should work fine. I hope you used some when you set up the tank. You should also use it when you replace water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Murferee

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
1
WhoKnows said:
You need to do some partial water changes to dilute the toxins. I'd recommend doing 25% every other day, then maybe larger changes if your ammonia goes above 1.0. Some people recommend larger water changes. The two things I think everyone will agree on is to keep testing the water every day until you get things under control, and do water changes consistently.

I'd also recommend backing off on the amount of food you're giving them. Almost everyone overfeeds to some extent. While you're trying to get ammonia under control, the less food the better. It won't hurt your fish to back off on the feeding for a while.
i don't have any fish in my ten gallon right now but will it be ok if i add water from my 20 gallon to my ten gallon if my 20 gallons water is good?
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
936
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Your 20G is going to have toxins in there also. All tanks that have fish have toxins. Ammonia is not good. Nitrites are not good. Nitrates are OK unless they build up too far, and they will if you don't do partial water changes frequently.

Do you understand how the aquarium cycle works? You need to have a good supply of fresh water to do partial water changes or your fish will end up swimming around in their own waste.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Murferee

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
1
WhoKnows said:
You need to do some partial water changes to dilute the toxins. I'd recommend doing 25% every other day, then maybe larger changes if your ammonia goes above 1.0. Some people recommend larger water changes. The two things I think everyone will agree on is to keep testing the water every day until you get things under control, and do water changes consistently.

I'd also recommend backing off on the amount of food you're giving them. Almost everyone overfeeds to some extent. While you're trying to get ammonia under control, the less food the better. It won't hurt your fish to back off on the feeding for a while.

Do you have any water conditioner? Prime is good, but any water conditioner should work fine. I hope you used some when you set up the tank. You should also use it when you replace water.
I did use
water conditioner but I dont have prime i only have tap water conditioner and a biological booster
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
936
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime is tap water conditioner. Yours should work fine. Prime is a very popular brand, but others work well too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Murferee

New Member
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Points
1
WhoKnows said:
Your 20G is going to have toxins in there also. All tanks that have fish have toxins. Ammonia is not good. Nitrites are not good. Nitrates are OK unless they build up too far, and they will if you don't do partial water changes frequently.

Do you understand how the aquarium cycle works? You need to have a good supply of fresh water to do partial water changes or your fish will end up swimming around in their own waste.
I will see if I can buy prime. Hopefully I can but my chances are low but ill try my best to buy it

WhoKnows said:
Prime is tap water conditioner. Yours should work fine. Prime is a very popular brand, but others work well too.
well then i will just do water changes. Thanks for the advice!
 

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
830
Points
98
Experience
4 years
Murferee said:
I do not have seachem prime. not gonna lie , i dont even know what that is. But i didn't used cycled media and i haven't tested my tap water directly. but if I do how can that help?
I guess the reason testing your tap water helps is because you have no fish in the tank yet you have ammonia. so it would be good if you know where your ammonia is coming from and it could be coming from your tap. i hope that makes sense.

as someone else said, seachem prime is a ammonia/nitrite detoxifier and it also conditions your water. you apparently have a different brand
 

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,435
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
According to this site, a level of 0.5 is nothing to worry about since about 97% of that will be the non-toxic form. According to them, if your pH is 7.6 or below, you're fine. Actually safe up to a reading of 4. I would worry much more about Nitrites.

They actually say that most of the products sold to monitor or remove ammonia are a waste of money unless you have water with a very high pH reading.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom