Ammonia Prime Test

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by leftswerve, Jun 25, 2016.

1. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Ammonia will show up with a liquid test kit at the level it is at, regardless of the use of prime and the suspension(don't get all technical on "suspension") it has become with prime.
    Is that a correct statement?
    Thank you

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I believe the liquid test kit cannot detect the ammonia which is temporarily bound up by the prime.

However, I believe that the denitrifying microbes can utilise it in its bound up state.

I also believe that water testing should be carried out at least 48 hours after adding prime (this is what I do).

4. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

The wait time after using Prime is 24 hrs.

5. OP
    OP
    leftswerve

But seachem claims it binds for 48 hrs. Not really where I was going, what I am trying to figure out, is if you have ammonia, the only way to get an accurate reading is once the prime has released the ammonia. Another one of seachem's willy nilly claims.

6. slayer5590

API ammonia test can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium but it will tell if it's there or not. Prime converts ammonia into ammonium.

7. OP
    OP
    leftswerve

So with the API kit,
    1. prime alone will not show up as ammonia
    2. Bound or not while using prime, ammonia will show some detection with API , albeit maybe not accurate levels
    Correct ?

8. slayer5590

If there is nh3 or nh4 in your water the API kit will pick it Prime or no Prime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice