Ammonia poisoning?

Jennalovesanimals

Hi.. I rescued a calico fantail goldfish from petco and I bought a whole new tank to accommodate another goldfish. I noticed when I first got him that his gills were
IMG_2684.JPGred. I assumed it was because he was being picked on by other fish at the store but then I saw something about ammonia poisoning turning gills red... I’m really worried that he won’t make it now.. can anyone give me any advice or tell me if he has it for sure?

KingJamal2

Hi.. I rescued a calico fantail goldfish from petco and I bought a whole new tank to accommodate another goldfish. I noticed when I first got him that his gills were
IMG_2684.JPGred. I assumed it was because he was being picked on by other fish at the store but then I saw something about ammonia poisoning turning gills red... I’m really worried that he won’t make it now.. can anyone give me any advice or tell me if he has it for sure?
Did you put him in the newly purchased tank, or did you put him in an already established tank?

Jennalovesanimals

Did you put him in the newly purchased tank, or did you put him in an already established tank?

Before I bought this tank I had a 30 gallon that was already established with 2 other fancy goldfish. When I saw this one at the store with all those sick dying fish I knew he wouldn’t make it much longer, so I took him home and bought a new 40 gallon for them the next day. I took the majority of the water from the 30 gallon and transferred it right into the 40, and I used to same rocks and filter media to keep all the beneficial bacteria possible.

KingJamal2

Before I bought this tank I had a 30 gallon that was already established with 2 other fancy goldfish. When I saw this one at the store with all those sick dying fish I knew he wouldn’t make it much longer, so I took him home and bought a new 40 gallon for them the next day. I took the majority of the water from the 30 gallon and transferred it right into the 40, and I used to same rocks and filter media to keep all the beneficial bacteria possible.
Ok, so you took filter media from the 30 gallon and put it in the 40 gallon?

If so. The fish might have either suffered ammonia poisoning at Petco, or perhaps it was bullying by other fish.

Sorry I can’t help more, but I don’t think I’ve had this problem yet. (I’m relatively new to the hobby)

Jennalovesanimals

Ok, so you took filter media from the 30 gallon and put it in the 40 gallon?

If so. The fish might have either suffered ammonia poisoning at Petco, or perhaps it was bullying by other fish.

Sorry I can’t help more, but I don’t think I’ve had this problem yet. (I’m relatively new to the hobby)

It’s okay, you were smart to check if they were thrown into an uncycled tank, that would definitely cause problems.

BettaNgold

That’s a calico with light pigmentation. It probably has some Shubunkin in her. Her gills are perfectly normal. I breed goldfish so I promise, I know what I’m talking about.

Jennalovesanimals

That’s a calico with light pigmentation. It probably has some Shubunkin in her. Her gills are perfectly normal. I breed goldfish so I promise, I know what I’m talking about.

Really?!! You have no idea what a relief that is.. they’re more red in person than they look in the pic though, is that still normal??

jkkgron2

Really?!! You have no idea what a relief that is.. they’re more red in person than they look in the pic though, is that still normal??
I have a pure white/kind of clear-ish fan tail Goldie that has the same color gills as yours (maybe even a bit more red) and hes been doing fine for 3+ years

Jennalovesanimals

I have a pure white/kind of clear-ish fan tail Goldie that has the same color gills as yours (maybe even a bit more red) and hes been doing fine for 3+ years

That sounds awesome! That makes me feel so much better about it! I just had a tank break yesterday and 2 of my fish, my dwarf frog, and a ghost shrimp did not make it so I was really scared that this was going to just add to my bad luck but it looks like my goldfish tank should be safe thank you!

BettaNgold

Perfectly normal.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• LexiMae
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
LexiMae
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views